staktup

2019 NYCDEP final rule

6 posts in this topic

For those who fish DEP reservoirs, I received the final rule document as a pdf, so you’ll have to search the web for it. 

NOTICE OF ADOPTION OF FINAL RULE
New York City Department of Environmental Protection
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN PURSUANT TO THE AUTHORITY VESTED IN
THE COMMISSIONER OF THE DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL
PROTECTION BY Sections 1043(c) and 1403(a) of the New York City Charter and Sections 24-302, 24-315, 24-326, 24-327, 24-346 and 24-359 of the Administrative Code of the City of New York that the Department promulgates and adopts these “Rules for the Recreational Use of Water Supply Lands and Waters.”

This new rule may affect some of you on Page 6:

“Clarifies that pedal kayaks or kayaks with sails are not allowed as a Recreational Boat. o NYCDEPisprohibitingtheseduetotheconcernsoverinvasivespeciessuchas Zebra mussels and Hydrilla that may be found on these types of kayaks. The effectiveness of steam cleaning these types of accessories may not be enough to effectively guard against invasive species from entering NYCDEP
Reservoirs or Controlled Lakes.”

8 mins ago, staktup said:

Zebra mussels and Hydrilla that may be found on these types of kayaks.

Give us zebra mussels and gobies...let's grow some 8lb smallies in these reservoirs lol. 

Sam, what about kayaks without pedals or sails? LOL. DEP (NYC) is very careful with our pristine Catskills waters,  and I don’t mind it. Rowing and fishing a Jon boat on the watershed is a nice change from the yak.

As I recall it you need to leave the boat at the lake all season after you get it steamed and certified. It sound like they're saying pedal and sail are not eligible for that qualification and are simply banned.