John O'

Above ground lawn sprinkler system

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

For a small front and side yard, any ideas?  I just laid sod and it needs to be drenched daily, and I go away on weekends so i need one that I can use with a timer.  All the ones at HD and Lowe's seem to be for large areas, I was hoping to make something easy that I can put away for the winter.

Thanks!

Edited by John O'

22 mins ago, ted527 said:

I would just buy one of the programmable timers and use garden hoses

Two hoses, two sprinkler heads?  Was thinking that but the reverse L shape would make it tough to cover the entire lawn, despite it being small.

34 mins ago, ted527 said:

I would just buy one of the programmable timers and use garden hoses

Yup.....go to Job Lot and get some Y-spliters for like a buck, and use a couple hoses and oscillating or rotary sprinklers as the space you need to water requires. And then hook that all up to a cheap timer at the faucet. There are a few types depending on your needs.

With the valved Y splitters you can adjust the valves to balance the flow to each of the sprinklers.

This is what I do for my vegetable garden if I go away for an extended period of time. Because I have various spaces, at times the maze got a bit complicated, but after some patience, I could get everything correctly balanced. for you, I see maybe two areas, so it should be fairly easy.

The timer will be the most costly component. I am am guessing the rest, if you already have some hoses, will be less than $25 at Job Lot.

If you are only running two sprinklers, you need one splitter right after the timer. Two hoses to two of whatever type sprinkler serves the area best.

Turn on the water and adjust the valves on the splitter so that they get balanced the way you need. Set the timer., and you are golden.

Edited by Steve in Mass

orbit-hose-fittings-accessories-27937-64

Move it around. Push it to the side.

Control the stream with the valve. 

good_oscillating_sprinkler_1.jpg

Edited by SandSpike1

27 mins ago, SandSpike1 said:

orbit-hose-fittings-accessories-27937-64

Move it around. Push it to the side.

Control the stream with the valve. 

good_oscillating_sprinkler_1.jpg

Thanks, but I can't move sprinklers around to cover the area because I am gone 2-4 days a week at a time.  I need a stationary system which will cover the entire area, with a timer. 

How about this Nelson product I just found?

https://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Watering-Sprinkler-50-Foot-Deflectors/dp/B0015AV3NW/ref=asc_df_B0015AV3NW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193139379506&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3116757027060613198&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9002028&hvtargid=pla-312054309818&psc=1

Edited by John O'

Home depot has timers that have four zones so you can run four hoses with four sprinklers.  You can set the timers to come on in succession for as long as you want them to run. They are relatively cheap and then its just whatever hoses and sprinklers you need. Just search hose timers and it comes right up.

Hey old buddy :wave: 

I'm with Sim and SandSpike1, who might fall off his chair now :laugh:

The main issue is the shape and size of your lawn. 

The system you showed has only full round or half round adapters. Neither of which are good for your rectagonal  areas. If you could get 1/4 round adapters, you could do it, but you would need like three or four of those set ups.  Using any round or half rounds on a "squared" lawn just results in too much  wasted water on the sidewalk and driveways. I see sprinklers watering streets every day because they are not adjusted correctly, and it irks me.  Plus, what hits the house drips down and over waters the worst place, next to your house.

It's me, I'd get three of them ones like Spike showed that can do straight lines, a triple splitter , three hoses and a good timer. I dont think you can do that whole side yard with one, unless ya crank it up and wash yer neighbors car at the same time. Terrible waste of water. 

Set them up, plug them in, turn it on, and just start tuning them to work. Moving them, adjusting the flow per sprinkler. A nice hot sunny day helps, lol.

Also, hose washers are a must ( Spike ) to check and replace to lessen waste. 

14 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

Hey old buddy :wave: 

I'm with Sim and SandSpike1, who might fall off his chair now :laugh:

The main issue is the shape and size of your lawn. 

The system you showed has only full round or half round adapters. Neither of which are good for your rectagonal  areas. If you could get 1/4 round adapters, you could do it, but you would need like three or four of those set ups.  Using any round or half rounds on a "squared" lawn just results in too much  wasted water on the sidewalk and driveways. I see sprinklers watering streets every day because they are not adjusted correctly, and it irks me.  Plus, what hits the house drips down and over waters the worst place, next to your house.

It's me, I'd get three of them ones like Spike showed that can do straight lines, a triple splitter , three hoses and a good timer. I dont think you can do that whole side yard with one, unless ya crank it up and wash yer neighbors car at the same time. Terrible waste of water. 

Set them up, plug them in, turn it on, and just start tuning them to work. Moving them, adjusting the flow per sprinkler. A nice hot sunny day helps, lol.

Also, hose washers are a must ( Spike ) to check and replace to lessen waste. 

Thanks John, I think this may be the way to go, I have a brother in law from MIT working on it too. :laugh:

As you probably surmised, I'm not very handy - but I make up for it in other ways. 

How's things with you?

I would run s couple of weepers. 

( Job lot.)   Put them on a timer ?   

Thats what I to in the garden ?   

Dont get a lot of overspray either . 

22 mins ago, ccb said:

I would run s couple of weepers. 

( Job lot.)   Put them on a timer ?   

Thats what I to in the garden ?   

Dont get a lot of overspray either . 

CCB Are they like soaker hoses for plants and shrubs?  Would they work for a small lawn?