What’s Old School?

Rate this topic

flyrad10

23 mins ago, rbart said:

I’ve been using a headlamp for 20 years.  I wear one on my hat and one around my neck as a back up. Could never get used to holding the pen light with my teeth, drooling all over the thing. Most of the head lamps are able to be adjusted so that you can see right at your feet, but I usually don’t turn mine on until I get right on the rocks I’m going to fish. At that point I’m hidden and I’ve walked past anyone who might be fishing in the area without being noticed. 

Another reason I dont use a neck light is because when I tie a Palomar to my swivel I use my teeth while tying the knot. Always been a habit 

Edited by Justinj

The original korkers that made you feel like you’re walking like Frankenstein, duct taped to your boots. 

Orange Grundens rain jackets. 

Rope for dragging a fish back. 

Walking stick 

Canyon surf bags or army navy surplus bags

White buckets for eels 

Edited by rbart

Best I can say is my 50s Senator on an old school wooden offshore rod. 

"It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

On 6/13/2019 at 10:04 AM, giggyfish said:

Not needing to whip out your smart phone to take pictures of schoolies to validate yourself to social media. 

Oh yeah, absolutely. 

"It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

Using a two D cell flashlight painted OD green with the light part 90 degrees from the battery part. Taking the empty soda bottles back to the store for the $ .02 deposit. Wooden handles on salt water fishing rods with metal reel seats. Loosing the rubber bumper on the end of the wooden handle. Braided nylon Squidding line. Blue Jeanes being called dungarees, made in the USA, and purchased from an Army Navy store.

Some thoughts on lures (still use them) Graves Block Tin, Original Atoms, Long Island Tackle Danny's, Original Gibbs, 5 1/4 and 7 inch Rebel Super Minnows, Loaded 5 and 7 inch Red Fins (USA made), Original Creek Chub Surfsters, Bob Hahn Plugs, Eels rigged on Block Tin Swimming Heads.  More recent old school - Mega Bait's in 5 1/4 inch, Mambo Minnows in 4 inch and 7 inch, and the "other" Mambo minnow in Black with Blue Flake ( I can never remember the name - guess that means I'm becoming old school).

Finally, no spot burning, calling your buddies on your phone, especially when you see someone else catch a fish in the middle of the night, or pictures posted on social media!!!

Old school is taking your Dad’s 1951 5.5 HP  Evenrude to Capt Eddies. Rent a 16’ wooden skiff complete with empty milk containers to bail the water.  Head out to the Throgs Neck Bridge and dig for sand and tape worms to use as bait.  Get down on you hands and knees and dig for clams for the same purpose.  Get bit by blue claws and spider crabs while digging, always hated that part.  

Maybe thats not not old school as much as it was old times.  

Happy Father’s Day to all the Dads out there, mine included who is now 84 years old.  Can’t fish anymore but still loves telling the stories...

Edited by Birdsnester