One last 'Tucket Shoals fluke que: Big bait?

Rate this topic

jjdbike

1st off, thanks for your patience w/ all of these Nantucket fluke questions. I know I over compliacte simple things, It's pathological.

The boat will provide stripped out squid and I'm not sure what else.

6" Gulp grubs will be my main bait in pick shine, glow and chartruce. I'm trying to decide what other bait to bring. Mostly thinking of bait for harness - Fluke Bomb, Crazy rig w/ spoon, so big biats. 

Was probably going to get some whole squid. Would frozen bait shop squid be good enough? 

Also, was thinking about mackerel. I spoke w/ someone who was up there early this week. Their biggest were on whole fresh jigged macs on rigs. I don't really want to take the time to jig for bait while were on the fluke grounds. Was considering trying to obtain some fresh (local fish monger) and cut them onto big strips and salt them. Does this sound like a good idea? Other alternative was frozen spearing.

What would you take?

JD

1 hour ago, Tom T said:

You are a week from sailing, yes?  Zero chance this will be the last question :) 

Hahaha,

You know me too well & that’s pretty hilarious. OCD, the struggle is real......

I’m drawing the line, no more questions. 

Now, where the OCD is really a struggle is tryin to limit the amount of tackle to a reasonable amount that won’t throw my back out:D

JD

big smelt, you can even use the cleaned ones you can find in the frozen fish section of the supermarket. basically you can use any 6-12 inch long fish. Whole squid will also work. 

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

5 mins ago, Slayer said:

I tried 8 inch smelts, I also tried Salmon Belly strips, I did better with the fluke ribbons. Bring it all.

FLUKE RIBBONS Oh yea, they flutter better , try black and white meat to meat, had some good days with that.

JD understand- fluke are predatory-they want to see their meal moving-they like to see that movement- they will strike a couple of times- and always go back to where they were in waiting.

IMHO -How do you think a thawed smelt is gonna swim ?? 

5 mins ago, Snaps said:

FLUKE RIBBONS Oh yea, they flutter better , try black and white meat to meat, had some good days with that.

JD understand- fluke are predatory-they want to see their meal moving-they like to see that movement- they will strike a couple of times- and always go back to where they were in waiting.

IMHO -How do you think a thawed smelt is gonna swim ?? 

I use ryder hooks to make sure the thawed smelt (or other fish) doesn't fold back over itself. They don't really "swim" but they don't need to, predators will usually attack the injured fish in a school first. I would still use a fluke or squid strip along with the smelt.

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI