icarussound

Spooks

12 posts in this topic

I use spooks for surf fishing, several kinds. Not on my kayak till yesterday evening. I found it to be difficult to work from a seated position. This was a mirrolure top dog. I couldn’t not use it as fish were blowing up all around me, and it worked fine, I just had a hard time walking it consistently and it was too windy to stand.

I have a rapala something, and my go to are Zara spooks or super spooks. 

Which ones are easier to work from a kayak seat in your experience? 

Spooks are a pain to use from a kayak. A shorter rod helps. Just have to find your rhythm. A larger wood spook is a lot easier to use. They work a lot slower which is easier to maintain tempo. The wind makes it harder too if it making a bow in your line. 

For small spooks like like it sounds like you’re using, I like the rapala skitter walk. Casts well, and walks really easily. 

I work them sorta diagonal with the kayak positioned like in the sketch, it opens up a lot of room to work the rod & lets me get the cadence going & keep it going , i don't feel comfortable working them any other way...

diagonal.jpg.afd434fac3cd12c070c9b4115bde99d9.jpg

Huh, I've used them successfully for both LMB and blues. And "walked the dog" with a talking popper. I guess you just have to experiment till you find a technique that works for you.

I’ve found certain techniques from a kayak are easier to execute with a shorter rod and a bait caster, the spinning reels are right in your lap. It works for me.

All my rods are 7’. I found the heddon spook a bit easier to use this morning, I guess I just have to practice. I’ll try the rapala. I’m mostly on the Indian river/ lagoon in FL - snook, reds, trout - so smaller lures work.

11 mins ago, icarussound said:

All my rods are 7’. I found the heddon spook a bit easier to use this morning, I guess I just have to practice. I’ll try the rapala. I’m mostly on the Indian river/ lagoon in FL - snook, reds, trout - so smaller lures work.

Sounds fun. My son had a jack on a 3" spook by the dam in Jupiter. I think you'll get it.

And don’t be so locked into the thought of having to walk it all the time. Its action is just as erratic even if it isn’t “walking”. I’ve had some great days retrieving it straight to the kayak and adding a twitch or two here and there. 

What species are are you targeting with the spool?

You might also try some of the "SAMMY" types. Not really a Spook, but they are easier to walk. I fish from a Gheenoe & sit most of the time, but don;t really have much problems with any lures. 

Big jacks on a kayak are fun - there’s been schools of them early early the last week. A 15 lb Jack fights like a 60 lb shark IMHO. I mostly target snook till June,  redfish after till September, trout all the time. But there are so many species here I’ll catch what I catch! Caught a false albacore at Sebastian Inlet trolling a bucktail a few weeks ago.

What’s a Sammy type?

Turns out I have a rapala skitter walk, I’ll try it this afternoon, though I’m not sure I’ll catch on it in full sun unless there’s a frenzy!

No fish this afternoon, but yes the rapala are easier to work in the kayak. Turns out I have four of these, 2 small, 2 medium, one I found and resurrected last year and forgot about. I think I need to do an inventory.

On another topic unrelated I caught my first doormat  flounder on the beach this evening on a 1/4 oz bucktail I made. Life is good in Florida, it’s been probably a year since I had a skunk day!