BrianBM

6.5 PRC

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I was sniffing about the Ruger site, Cheaperthandirt, and a few others, and I see references to 6.5 PRC.  

Fill me in. The claimed advantages of PRC ("Precision Rifle Chambering?") are undoubtedly superior accuracy. I am not competent enough to stretch the accuracy of .22 LR, so the difference between 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 PRC aren't germane to me.  BUT, I am curious. When did PRC happen and does it show any advantage in skilled hands?

Side note.  Ruger isn't offering the Ruger Precision Rifle in .223 just now. Pity.  NATO 5.56, yes, but that takes you into dollar-a-shot territory again. I see .223 available for 40-50 cents a shot, which is more appealing. 

Second side note. Who offers a nice accurate .223 in a bolt, since Ruger doesn't have a RPR in that chambering?

I've been giving a lot of thought to the Weatherby Vanguard Modular Chassis in 6.5 Creedmoor but more to your point...it's readily available in 223 Remington.  Street price is $799 and it's one hell of a platform.

Weatherby Vanguard.jpg

I think Ruger chambered the rifle in 5.56 for the reloaders. 5.56 and 223 are same cartridge just the 5.56 is a little hotter. This way the reloaders can build up some hot loads in 223. 

As for the 6.5 ... those bullets are the rage amongst the target shooters.  

Grendel, PRC, creedmore, etc. Unless you're into reloading I would not invest into that platform (gun, scope, caliber). 

I do have an AR in Grendel and it's a shooter.  It shoots way better than the guy behind it. Wasn't planning on buying it but this guy literally gave it away. Hard to pass on a gun when the guy wants $500 for a $1100 gun.  Lol. 

Is the 6.5 PRC a better long range shooter than the 6.5 Creedmore? More ft/lbs at long range, tighter groups, less wind drift getting there? 

On 6/13/2019 at 8:12 AM, LBI SurfRat said:

I think Ruger chambered the rifle in 5.56 for the reloaders. 5.56 and 223 are same cartridge just the 5.56 is a little hotter.

Not entirely true, they're almost identical, save for the tighter tolerances of the .223. The shoulder and neck are slightly tighter, thus why you can shoot the .223 in a 5.56 with no issues. A 5.56 can, and will, get stuck in a .223 chamber if you're not careful. 5.56 are more sloppy. Same bullet, slightly different cartridge.