BrianBM

6.5 PRC

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I was sniffing about the Ruger site, Cheaperthandirt, and a few others, and I see references to 6.5 PRC.  

Fill me in. The claimed advantages of PRC ("Precision Rifle Chambering?") are undoubtedly superior accuracy. I am not competent enough to stretch the accuracy of .22 LR, so the difference between 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 PRC aren't germane to me.  BUT, I am curious. When did PRC happen and does it show any advantage in skilled hands?

Side note.  Ruger isn't offering the Ruger Precision Rifle in .223 just now. Pity.  NATO 5.56, yes, but that takes you into dollar-a-shot territory again. I see .223 available for 40-50 cents a shot, which is more appealing. 

Second side note. Who offers a nice accurate .223 in a bolt, since Ruger doesn't have a RPR in that chambering?

I've been giving a lot of thought to the Weatherby Vanguard Modular Chassis in 6.5 Creedmoor but more to your point...it's readily available in 223 Remington.  Street price is $799 and it's one hell of a platform.

Weatherby Vanguard.jpg

I think Ruger chambered the rifle in 5.56 for the reloaders. 5.56 and 223 are same cartridge just the 5.56 is a little hotter. This way the reloaders can build up some hot loads in 223. 

As for the 6.5 ... those bullets are the rage amongst the target shooters.  

Grendel, PRC, creedmore, etc. Unless you're into reloading I would not invest into that platform (gun, scope, caliber). 

I do have an AR in Grendel and it's a shooter.  It shoots way better than the guy behind it. Wasn't planning on buying it but this guy literally gave it away. Hard to pass on a gun when the guy wants $500 for a $1100 gun.  Lol. 

Is the 6.5 PRC a better long range shooter than the 6.5 Creedmore? More ft/lbs at long range, tighter groups, less wind drift getting there? 

On 6/13/2019 at 8:12 AM, LBI SurfRat said:

I think Ruger chambered the rifle in 5.56 for the reloaders. 5.56 and 223 are same cartridge just the 5.56 is a little hotter.

Not entirely true, they're almost identical, save for the tighter tolerances of the .223. The shoulder and neck are slightly tighter, thus why you can shoot the .223 in a 5.56 with no issues. A 5.56 can, and will, get stuck in a .223 chamber if you're not careful. 5.56 are more sloppy. Same bullet, slightly different cartridge.

Aaaaahhh, this is a question I'd had. You can happily fire .223 through a 5.56, but not a 5.56 through a .223?  Worth knowing. 

2 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Aaaaahhh, this is a question I'd had. You can happily fire .223 through a 5.56, but not a 5.56 through a .223?  Worth knowing. 

Yup. Worked the gun counter for a few years at Campsite in huntington, seen more than a fair share of stuck cases.

On 12/6/2019 at 11:18 PM, BrianBM said:

I was sniffing about the Ruger site, Cheaperthandirt, and a few others, and I see references to 6.5 PRC.  

Fill me in. The claimed advantages of PRC ("Precision Rifle Chambering?") are undoubtedly superior accuracy. I am not competent enough to stretch the accuracy of .22 LR, so the difference between 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 PRC aren't germane to me.  BUT, I am curious. When did PRC happen and does it show any advantage in skilled hands?

I’m glad I saw your question a couple days ago because before your mention of it I had no interest in researching the round. Ive seen it around, but I’ve put enough work and money into my Creedmoor to the point that I didn’t want to know there was a better round out in 6.5 now lol. But, I read up on it a little since anyways and there was nothing that made me want to run out and get one, only because I already have a Creedmoor. 

The PRC is now what the Creedmoor was a decade ago as far as cartridge newness and gaining popularity amongst distance shooters, but essentially it’s the magnum version of the Creedmoor. Some say the PRC is to the Creedmoor as the 300 WinMag is to the .308, but when you crack into some charts the difference isn’t that great. The ammo costs are about the same- you’ll still be paying the $2-2.50/pew for an ELD-M or ELD-X (my two favorite rounds for my Creedmoor) from your average vendor. Hornady added 60gr of powder to their Creedmoor to give it 250fps more velocity for each projectile weight. That translates to more bang- more recoil. My Creedmoor tips the scale at around 9lbs live weight and the recoil is manageable even for the smaller or newer shooter.

Side note- I took a buddy and his girlfriend to the range recently because he and I love gunpowder therapy and she is getting into hunting with him now. Out of the 12ga and 20ga shotguns, 40 Glock 27 and a 22WMR and 6.5 Creedmoor that I brought, surprisingly she said the most fun for her to shoot was the Creedmoor. I joked with my buddy because she was actually a better shot with it than he lol. I think he has a sniper  sapling on his hands. 

The 100yd tests I’ve seen don’t show any difference, that’s really seen when you get out at the 500-1kyd range, but cartridge aside, at those distances the rifle itself has a lot to do with your accuracy when reaching out that far and the gains aren’t significant enough to warrant me getting into the PRC. Generally you gain a little less drop and drift because of the extra umph behind it, but there’s another piece to it that’s not mentioned on the box- test barrel length.  The standard test barrel length that Hornady uses to publish their velocity and drop data (out to 500yds) is a 24” for the Creedmoor and 26” for the PRC. Seeing that and reading a little more into it leads me to believe the PRC might be getting close to overbore and needs the longer barrel to control the added energy behind the .264. The 22” barrel Creedmoor is readily available from a few manufacturers and I love mine, but I’d be interested to see how many 22” barrels are offered in the PRC and what their charts look like. The only reason I mentioned the barrel length is because if you plan on taking this thing on a sling, your better bet may be the Creedmoor. If you only plan on shooting bench the PRC would be pretty fun to get into. 

All that aside, if you’re not looking at misting things at great distances and more so want to kill paper reasonably sub-500yds while not draining the pocket, the .223 is a good round to go with.

2 hours ago, chessie_yaker said:

Hornady added 60gr of powder to their Creedmoor to give it 250fps more velocity for each projectile weight. That translates to more bang- more recoil.

I didn't want to quote the whole passage but that was an excellent summary of the performance difference. 

Sidebar, bang versus recoil...age old question and right to the heart of my love/hate relationship with Weatherby  :laugh:   At some point enough is enough.  The shooter has to recognize (as you also referred to) there are a host of other considerations besides powder granules.

Creedmoor to PRC...what is old is new again

48 mins ago, mako20ft said:

Sidebar, bang versus recoil...age old question and right to the heart of my love/hate relationship with Weatherby  :laugh:   At some point enough is enough.  The shooter has to recognize (as you also referred to) there are a host of other considerations besides powder granules.

Creedmoor to PRC...what is old is new again

:howdy: I would enjoy a thread dedicated to that debate because I would learn a lot from you guys with the cartridges I know nothing about. And I definitely agree... at some point someone should raise their hand at the round table and ask the question... “would the effect be similar if we necked down a tad and shed a few grains when it will be flying over 3000fps anyways?” Then get laughed at as they introduce the next bruiser lol

Your last comment brought up a thought that has crossed my mind more than a few times with all of the innovation that’s been going on in the firearms realm in the past decade or two, rifle and pistol... is there really a need to recycle a caliber into something new that adds a notch between two perfectly capable cartridges? That could probably be a debate in a thread of its own, but the PRC, GAP, 10mm... even though I think Norma did a great job with the 10mm... yeah, I don’t want to hijack this thread. Maybe I’ll start two threads with these ideas 

Edited by chessie_yaker