Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saint Drew David

Inshore Exotic Charter

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, vandeda said:

Excellent ... thank you again Ahab & Pete for taking your time. Watch it be one of those trips where no one lands a fish ...

OK, I think I'm almost there.  For one, I take it you run jigs unless the fish are only hitting on baited hooks, correct?  Second, if I understand correctly, you would tie the flourocarbon leader directly to the mono main, correct (way back when I did some tuna fishing, I just ran a swivel between the main & leader ... but I was also a not-so-rich high school / college student, so I did not have the money to bring jigs and such)? Would the suggested knots (FG, Albright, Alberto ... how about double uni too) work well for a mono to flouro connection?

According to an old advertisement from 1964, the 302 will hold 300 yards of 20 lb mono.

A barrel swivel can work, but I avoid them if possible. I believe most people will be tossing jigs, but do what the mates/captain recommend. If they switch to bait, fish that unless its absolutely not working. All the knots you referenced work.

Also, if you have a smaller spinning reel, say a 4000-5000 size, that would work better and be lighter than your Mitchell.

2 mins ago, TopwaterPete said:

A barrel swivel can work, but I avoid them if possible. I believe most people will be tossing jigs, but do what the mates/captain recommend. If they switch to bait, fish that unless its absolutely not working. All the knots you referenced work.

Also, if you have a smaller spinning reel, say a 4000-5000 size, that would work better and be lighter than your Mitchell.

I have a Mitchell 306 in better condition than the 302 even though I estimate it's 20 yrs older that holds 150 yds of 20 lb or 250 yds of 15 lb according to an old ad, which I believe puts that reel in the 4000-5000 size.

I've done bottom fishing, bluefishing, and tuna trips on party boats, but never one of these. In all those cases, the party boats only rented conventional rods/reels. Does Gambler's rentals of the inshore exotics consist of spinning gear & jigs? I'm curious because I know the people I'm going with will be renting, and I've never been on a party boat that rented spinning gear.

I don't know about the Gambler, but you're correct that most boats don't rent spinning gear. 

On a side note, even if you have something like a freshwater bass spinning rod, say a 6'6-7' rod rated 6-12 or 8-14lb line with even a 2500 or 3000 sized spinning reel, bring it. It may come in handy.

Edited by TopwaterPete

8 hours ago, TopwaterPete said:

I don't know about the Gambler, but you're correct that most boats don't rent spinning gear. 

On a side note, even if you have something like a freshwater bass spinning rod, say a 6'6-7' rod rated 6-12 or 8-14lb line with even a 2500 or 3000 sized spinning reel, bring it. It may come in handy.

I do have Bass gear that size,  so I'll ring it along :) I have seen some of the pictures from gambler,  and I've certainly caught Bass and pike bigger than the Magi pictured lol. 

Do you ever run into bluefish out there? If so,  would it be beneficial to have some wire leader available? 

OK... A question that really makes me feel as ignorant as I am when it comes to this type of fishing... Quick tutorial on using the epoxy jigs and deadly dicks ...or just jigging for the different species? 

On 9/18/2019 at 0:57 PM, MitchellNJ said:

You could, of course, call the captain. :shrug:

I'll admit that didn't cross my mind. I guess I had this perception that a party boat captain wouldn't have time to answer lots of questions from one of thousands of random strangers who've stepped onboard... Especially since much of my party boat fishing was elementary through college years when I would have been some random kid. 

Ask the captain he wants you to catch so listen and follow his advice.

As far as as the dd and epoxy.  Cast out reel in.  Try different depths.  You can burn them in or steady slow or medium or fast lol.  Try it all and the fish will tell you.

If fish are up top skip them across the surface.  Remember that when everone is casting at fish they can see it pays to cast the other way sometimes.  Often there are fish moving in to the slick or feeding out of sight