Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saint Drew David

Inshore Exotic Charter

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thank you so much for the advice and assistance Pete and Captain Ahab! I really appreciate it! I have an equipment question too. I signed up to rent a rod because I was unsure of what we had at my parent's house, but apparently we have some older spinning gear. My question is, we have a Mitchell 306 in good condition and a 302 is so-so condition. It seems I'd be pushing the 306 capacity wise, but it's in much better condition than the 302 (I haven't pulled the 302 apart to service, but it may not be serviceable). Any thoughts? Would the 306 suffice?

 

Thank you again! Hopefully I can do some kind of trip every year when the kids get older (now they're 6, 3.5 & 5 months ... and I know the two older kids will be sad they can't come this year). My dad's parents had property in Point Pleasant Beach, but they transferred ownership to the kids about 20 years ago. The kids ultimately didn't want it so they sold it ... oh well, such is life.

Edited by vandeda
misread an earlier post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 6/13/2019 at 6:29 AM, Captain Ahab said:

Listen to the charter captain.  A charter is going to supply you with gear that works for what they are doing that day.  When we take folks out we let them bring gear but often it is just in the way and unused

Being a mate on my grandfather's boat, back in the 70s, we didn't allow customers to bring their own gear. With that said, I have found that many charter boats don't replace their line enough. I always take my own equipment and insist it be used. I have had way to many breakoffs due to bad line or leaders. Even when I travel internationally I take my stuff. I will check their reels for cloudy line and for nicks in the first 15 yards or so, if I see anything untoward I make sure they remove some line or not use it at a all. I also take a hook sharpener and check every hook. You would be surprised how many hooks get reused and are too dull for the job.

 

Internationally the cost of fishing line can be extremely high. I always take a bulk spool of 50, 80 and/or 130lb Ande mono with me and give it to the charter Captain. They love the gift. I also take my own lures. I give them to the charter captain as well. I will usually book two or three days with the same boat, the gifts of line and new lure does wonders for their efforts to put me on fish. I still tip the mate, I don't consider these gifts as part of the gratuity. In Costa Rica, a frequent destination, I have a few captains that will discount their charter to get me to use them.

Edited by Trainman327

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2019 at 0:39 PM, TopwaterPete said:

and small egg sinkers and large split shot.

Pete,

 

One more question (OK, don't quote me on that) ... define "small egg sinker" and "large split shot".  What size/weight would those be? Since I live well inshore these days in upstate NY ... my definition of small and large is likely skewed now. Frankly, I haven't used a sinker in a decade now, and at that I've really transitioned to freshwater fishing.

 

Again I thank you and Capt for the suggestions and very much appreciate taking your time.

 

Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vandeda said:

Pete,

 

One more question (OK, don't quote me on that) ... define "small egg sinker" and "large split shot".  What size/weight would those be? Since I live well inshore these days in upstate NY ... my definition of small and large is likely skewed now. Frankly, I haven't used a sinker in a decade now, and at that I've really transitioned to freshwater fishing.

 

Again I thank you and Capt for the suggestions and very much appreciate taking your time.

 

Dan

Small split shot would be a size 5 or 3. Egg sinkers in range from what Capt Ahab said, 1/4 oz to 2oz. I'd focus on the 1/2 oz or 1oz. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

OK... So apparently I have more questions. When I did some party boat tuna fishing about 20 years ago I pre-tied leaders on my hooks and used a snell knot I believe (had to look it up as I forgot what knot it was). Would you pre-tie leaders for the octopus hooks? And what knot for the octopus hooks?  And the lures for that matter? 

 

Also... What's a proper tip for the mates these days? 

 

Thank you again! 

Edited by vandeda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2019 at 3:47 PM, TopwaterPete said:

Small split shot would be a size 5 or 3. Egg sinkers in range from what Capt Ahab said, 1/4 oz to 2oz. I'd focus on the 1/2 oz or 1oz. 

I think I fell off into the 2nd page. If you do mind more questions ... when I did some party boat tuna fishing about 20 years ago I pre-tied leaders on my hooks and used a snell knot I believe (had to look it up as I forgot what knot it was). Would you pre-tie leaders for the octopus hooks? And what knot for the octopus hooks?  And what knots for the lures for that matter? 

 

Also... What's a proper tip for the mates these days?

 

Thank you!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2019 at 5:53 AM, Captain Ahab said:

Bone or silver colored epoxy jigs are a staple.  I would also bring a few other colors echicken and chartruse.  7/8 and 1.25 sizes.  Make sure they are heavy enough that your outfit can cast them.

 

Bring some bucktails mahi like them retrieved steady a few feet down.  Spoons. Are great to,  tony accetas heavy enough so you can get a good cast.

 

On a party boat you need to cast underhand so practice doing that off a dock or something about 5 to 7 feet off the water.  You lean over the side of the boat and cast with your rod pointing down at the water.

 

 

Good luck 

Re-read this ... what size bucktails? Those I can use for other things too as I know my brother takes his sons down there to do bottom fishing sometimes too.

 

Tony Accetta looks like I'd likely need a #17 for enough weight (3/4 oz) to likely get a good cast ... but at 4 1/2", would that be too large?

 

Well ... I can't practice underhand casting off a dock as I'm very far from a dock ... though, my 6 month old's room is perfectly situated to hang out the window and practice. I may look strange ... but hey, why not?

 

Thank you!

Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, vandeda said:

I think I fell off into the 2nd page. If you do mind more questions ... when I did some party boat tuna fishing about 20 years ago I pre-tied leaders on my hooks and used a snell knot I believe (had to look it up as I forgot what knot it was). Would you pre-tie leaders for the octopus hooks? And what knot for the octopus hooks?  And what knots for the lures for that matter? 

 

Also... What's a proper tip for the mates these days?

 

Thank you!!!

Absolutely pre-tie some flourocarbon leaders to hooks, but don't use them unless you have to. What do I mean by that? Let me explain.

 

My rig on offshore trips consists of about 4ft of flourocarbon leader tied to my main line. To that goes your jig, tied directly on. If you guys are into a school of fish and they are picky and require bait, cut the jig off, tie on a hook, and go from there. If you can get them to eat a flat-lined slow sinking bait, awesome. If you need to sink the bait deeper to get to the fish, pinch split shot onto your leader. It will kink the leader a bit, but it's fast and effective. If the leader looks bad, change it between the boat moving around. 

 

If you need to fish bait and have to add egg sinkers to get deeper, then cut the jig off, slide the egg onto the flouro leader, then add a barrel swivel to the end. To that barrel swivel you would then tie your pre-made leader+hook combo. The barrel swivel stops the egg from sliding down to your hook. You'll be casting that original flouro leader through a guide or two, but with an FG, Albright, or Alberto knot you will have no problem doing so.

 

Regarding knots, I do like snelling, but an improved clinch knot works fine too, as does a Uni.

 

For tips, 20% or so is fine. If I go on a regular inshore trip, say fluke/sea bass, I'll usually throw the mate $20 regardless if I'm catching or not. They work hard netting, clearing tangles, etc aside from filleting fish. If you fill a cooler and the mate is filleting for 30 mins, well, 20% is minimum IMO. I am by no means rich but I find a cheap tipper is not cool on head boats; those guys work their butts off for the most part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TopwaterPete said:

Absolutely pre-tie some flourocarbon leaders to hooks, but don't use them unless you have to. What do I mean by that? Let me explain.

 

My rig on offshore trips consists of about 4ft of flourocarbon leader tied to my main line. To that goes your jig, tied directly on. If you guys are into a school of fish and they are picky and require bait, cut the jig off, tie on a hook, and go from there. If you can get them to eat a flat-lined slow sinking bait, awesome. If you need to sink the bait deeper to get to the fish, pinch split shot onto your leader. It will kink the leader a bit, but it's fast and effective. If the leader looks bad, change it between the boat moving around. 

 

If you need to fish bait and have to add egg sinkers to get deeper, then cut the jig off, slide the egg onto the flouro leader, then add a barrel swivel to the end. To that barrel swivel you would then tie your pre-made leader+hook combo. The barrel swivel stops the egg from sliding down to your hook. You'll be casting that original flouro leader through a guide or two, but with an FG, Albright, or Alberto knot you will have no problem doing so.

 

Regarding knots, I do like snelling, but an improved clinch knot works fine too, as does a Uni.

 

For tips, 20% or so is fine. If I go on a regular inshore trip, say fluke/sea bass, I'll usually throw the mate $20 regardless if I'm catching or not. They work hard netting, clearing tangles, etc aside from filleting fish. If you fill a cooler and the mate is filleting for 30 mins, well, 20% is minimum IMO. I am by no means rich but I find a cheap tipper is not cool on head boats; those guys work their butts off for the most part.

Awesome thanks! I do have the advantage that I'll have conventional gear (which is what I believe Gambler will rent) when I used to do more bluefishing before my dad had his stroke, and then also spinning gear. Therefore, I can rig up the conventional gear with the hooks, and the spinning gear with the jigs.

 

How necessary is braided line? From what I've read, to successfully run my Mitchell 302 (or 306) reel I'll need to buy a crosswind cam for it. Would mono still be sufficient? And should I still run flourocarbon leader if I run mono?

 

I'm hoping to get the deadly dicks in now ... they're shipping is slower than dirt. Ordered last Wednesday night and still hasn't shipped yet ...their website does say up to 72 hrs, which I assume is business days, but this is the slowest I've experienced in a long long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vandeda said:

Awesome thanks! I do have the advantage that I'll have conventional gear (which is what I believe Gambler will rent) when I used to do more bluefishing before my dad had his stroke, and then also spinning gear. Therefore, I can rig up the conventional gear with the hooks, and the spinning gear with the jigs.

 

How necessary is braided line? From what I've read, to successfully run my Mitchell 302 (or 306) reel I'll need to buy a crosswind cam for it. Would mono still be sufficient? And should I still run flourocarbon leader if I run mono?

 

I'm hoping to get the deadly dicks in now ... they're shipping is slower than dirt. Ordered last Wednesday night and still hasn't shipped yet ...their website does say up to 72 hrs, which I assume is business days, but this is the slowest I've experienced in a long long time.

I wouldn't run braid on a Mitchell 302. I have zero experience fishing with that reel, but have spooled them many times at the tackle shop (which will remain un-named) I work at part time. In my experience any time I've seen braid on the reels it looks like hell. Stick with mono in my opinion; there have been millions of fish caught on it throughout history. I would still run the flouro leader. Maybe do a 15lb main line and 20-30lb flouro leader. The reel was designed to work with 10-15lb mono from what I know, and holds a mile of that line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2019 at 2:35 PM, TopwaterPete said:

I wouldn't run braid on a Mitchell 302. I have zero experience fishing with that reel, but have spooled them many times at the tackle shop (which will remain un-named) I work at part time. In my experience any time I've seen braid on the reels it looks like hell. Stick with mono in my opinion; there have been millions of fish caught on it throughout history. I would still run the flouro leader. Maybe do a 15lb main line and 20-30lb flouro leader. The reel was designed to work with 10-15lb mono from what I know, and holds a mile of that line.

Excellent ... thank you again Ahab & Pete for taking your time. Watch it be one of those trips where no one lands a fish ...

 

OK, I think I'm almost there.  For one, I take it you run jigs unless the fish are only hitting on baited hooks, correct?  Second, if I understand correctly, you would tie the flourocarbon leader directly to the mono main, correct (way back when I did some tuna fishing, I just ran a swivel between the main & leader ... but I was also a not-so-rich high school / college student, so I did not have the money to bring jigs and such)? Would the suggested knots (FG, Albright, Alberto ... how about double uni too) work well for a mono to flouro connection?

 

According to an old advertisement from 1964, the 302 will hold 300 yards of 20 lb mono.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.