Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saint Drew David

Inshore Exotic Charter

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

I have some questions for some of the more seasoned vets about inshore exotic fishing.

Ive been fishing for years but never anything crazy, usually fluke, bluefish ect. Me and my fiancé are looking to take a charter out of Point Pleasant in the fall for mahi, bonito, ect. I usually fish spinning gear. The website for he charter recommends 20-30 lb class conventional. My question is, is there anything wrong with using spinning gear in this application. Thinking a reel in the 6-8000 range with 20-25 lb mono (braid not recommended, and a med heavy 6’6” rod. Haven’t purchased any new reels for this yet. Wanted to get some opinions first.

Thanks!

Listen to the charter captain.  A charter is going to supply you with gear that works for what they are doing that day.  When we take folks out we let them bring gear but often it is just in the way and unused

14 hours ago, Saint Drew David said:

I have some questions for some of the more seasoned vets about inshore exotic fishing.

Ive been fishing for years but never anything crazy, usually fluke, bluefish ect. Me and my fiancé are looking to take a charter out of Point Pleasant in the fall for mahi, bonito, ect. I usually fish spinning gear. The website for he charter recommends 20-30 lb class conventional. My question is, is there anything wrong with using spinning gear in this application. Thinking a reel in the 6-8000 range with 20-25 lb mono (braid not recommended, and a med heavy 6’6” rod. Haven’t purchased any new reels for this yet. Wanted to get some opinions first.

Thanks!

The "inshore exotics" typically encountered in Sept/Oct off the NJ coast are very fun to catch on spinning gear, and I've done it a million times. With that being said, they're only fishable if you're sight casting to structure like lobster pots, floating debris, busting fish, or sargassum weeds. If you get into that type of fishing, a spinning rod in the 4000-6000 range is perfect, packed with 20lb braid and a 20-30lb leader. You'll be casting to "chicken" dolphin, aka mahi's in the 3-6lb range, false albacore averaging 5-6 lbs, and bonito that could be smaller or around the 5lb range. If you get luck and run into a bigger mahi, say 10-20lbs, you'll have no problem whatsoever landing one with a 4k to 6k reel and the line mentioned above. 

In the fall you can also run into bluefin tuna, which can either be school size (20-40lbs), or bigger ones exceeding 100lbs. Running 20-30lb conventional rigs gives the boat the versatility to troll for tuna, mahi, bonitos, or whatever else is out there (the oddball spanish mackerel, etc). Trolling is not done with spinning gear. You may also bounce the bottom for cod on a wreck, which a 20-30lb conventional outfit is ideal for. 

Ultimately I would definitely recommend sticking with what the captain and boat says. They know the type of fishing you'll be doing. With that being said, ask the capt if you can bring an extra rod along in the event you can target fish on spinning gear.

I should mention it is going to be a party boat charter.  Maximum of 24 people. So I don’t think we’ll be doing any trolling.  So far really do appreciate all the advice, and of course as always anymore so it’s even more Appreciated.

That sounds like way overkill, but if youre on a party boat you might be **** out of luck with what you can use.  I honestly wouldn't really wanna go fish for those smaller mahi we get if forced to use heavy rods.  The little chicken mahi are barely fun on largemouth gear.

Running 'N Gunning

Last 2 weeks of July, the month of August and September.

In September the baits are on the surface. The beginning of the

migration is underway. You get a better visual of what you're

looking to do. No promises.

image-redirect.png

bonito.jpg

1280-0mcr7-Xuw0-Bh-A.png

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Saint Drew David said:

I should mention it is going to be a party boat charter.  Maximum of 24 people. So I don’t think we’ll be doing any trolling.  So far really do appreciate all the advice, and of course as always anymore so it’s even more Appreciated.

Right so you're going on the Gambler out of Manasquan. I would 100% bring what the boat recommends in the conventional setup, but I would not under any circumstances leave the dock without a spinning rod. You will use it if you cast to mahi's, and that situation comes up plenty on party boat trips like that. Bring small jigs between 1 and 2oz (hogy epoxy jigs, deadly dicks), flourocarbon leader between 20-40lb, 2/0-5/0 octopus hooks or "live bait" style hooks, barrel swivels, and small egg sinkers and large split shot.

Mahi's you can catch on the surface or 50ft down. Skippies, albies, and bonito can be caught either up on the surface or deeper while drifting bait, like the mahi's. 

If you have a heavy freshwater bass spinning setup, or an inshore fluke spinning setup, bring that over the big spinning reels you use for bluefish. You want to have fun catching these fish, and the light rod not only makes it fun, but way easier to cast the lures and small chunk baits needed for those fish. If I was buying a setup, a 3000 or 4000 size shimano paired with a 7' rod in the 10-17lb or 10-20lb class would be my pick.

With a 24 man limit on that boat you'll have some room, so tangles shouldn't be the biggest problem.

Edited by TopwaterPete

I take family and kids on Mahi trips and always

take spinning gear. Great fun. I  c some advice on

Deadly Dick type metals. Do yourself and the mates

a favor and swap out trebles for singles. Zman heads

and soft plastic bodies work great.

On 6/13/2019 at 0:39 PM, TopwaterPete said:

Bring small jigs between 1 and 2oz (hogy epoxy jigs, deadly dicks), flourocarbon leader between 20-40lb, 2/0-5/0 octopus hooks or "live bait" style hooks, barrel swivels, and small egg sinkers and large split shot.

Pete,

Do you have any recommended hogy epoxy jigs or deadly dicks as there are lots of choices? It's been a long time since I fished the Jersey shore since all my family moved away (plus my dad who was my main fishing buddy had a major stroke 6 years ago less than a year after retiring), so I'm out of the loop these days and could use some help getting back in the loop.

Thank you!

Dan

Edited by vandeda

Bone or silver colored epoxy jigs are a staple.  I would also bring a few other colors echicken and chartruse.  7/8 and 1.25 sizes.  Make sure they are heavy enough that your outfit can cast them.

Bring some bucktails mahi like them retrieved steady a few feet down.  Spoons. Are great to,  tony accetas heavy enough so you can get a good cast.

On a party boat you need to cast underhand so practice doing that off a dock or something about 5 to 7 feet off the water.  You lean over the side of the boat and cast with your rod pointing down at the water.

Good luck 

Edited by Captain Ahab

11 hours ago, vandeda said:

Pete,

Do you have any recommended hogy epoxy jigs or deadly dicks as there are lots of choices? It's been a long time since I fished the Jersey shore since all my family moved away (plus my dad who was my main fishing buddy had a major stroke 6 years ago less than a year after retiring), so I'm out of the loop these days and could use some help getting back in the loop.

Thank you!

Dan

Hello Dan,

Captain Ahab said it right in the post above. My personal favorite is a 7/8oz epoxy. I prefer either the green or pink ones. Deadly Dick #1 lures are just under an ounce as well. Bring a size #2 in case you need to get deeper or get a longer cast. They don't always eat the #2, but mahi's will, and if the albies/bones are aggressive, they will. Bluefish will definitely eat the #2. As for colors, I like silver, green, or rainbow. All these lures do very well off the beach too.

Tight lines. 

One of the tatics i use is when everyone else is flipping chunks at the mahi break out a lure and cast away from the fish you can see.  Often there are larger mahi lurking or circling a little further away.  A spoon or jig ripping by will entice them when they are chunk shy