FlapShell

Set of lures?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi, 

I'm getting into striped bass and bluefish fishing from shore and on jetties. I don't know what lures I should get. I live in CT, and will be fishing along the coast, as well as a bit in Cape Cod and Rhode Island. What are a couple of lures to get me started? I'm talking about maybe 5 lures, as well as the colors. I don't want to spend over $60. I will be using a 9ft rod. Thanks

Edited by FlapShell

SP, bone

Whatever size pencil you like to throw, white

Bag of 6" Slug-Gos and a pack of half ounce jig heads

Bag of paddle tails (I like cocahoe minnows and Z-Man PaddlerZ) to go on the same jig heads

A Danny plug in something like schoolbus pattern

White Bucktails 1, 1.5 and 2oz

Sp Minnow bone or black/blurple

Mag Darter bone or black/blurple

Pencil Popper collor doesn't matter so long as it is white on the bottom

2 oz diamond jig with green tube for sand eel runs

Deadly Dick or Epoxy Jig for when the albies show up

1&2) Daiwa SP Minnow (floating) one in bone for day and one in blurple for night

3) SuperStrike popper white with red head

4) KastMaster Single Hook Bucktail 2-3oz.

5) Bucktail jig white head, white tail  2oz

Should come in right around $60

Edited by PlumFishing

Make that Super Strike Popper the 2 3/8 ounce sinker. It casts very well,and is not just a topwater plug as it will swim enticingly under when fished slow.

....and make it yellow

Edited by Stewie

Save a few extra dollars to swap hooks and split on sps

ghost white sp

white/red head mag darter

ss popper or darter

60$ will get u started but u need a few hundred to be setup under different conditions

1 hour ago, Stewie said:

Make that Super Strike Popper the 2 3/8 ounce sinker. It casts very well,and is not just a topwater plug as it will swim enticingly under when fished slow.

....and make it yellow

Tough to argue!

Edited by PlumFishing

Keep in mind that the bucktails are frequently fished near the bottom in current (thinking RI breachways or inlets). Although you can fish them.from the beach/surf just fine too.   It takes a while to figure out how to fish these right. As the current gets heavier, you will go from 1 1/2 ounce...to 2...to 3.....to 4.....to even 5.  And, because you are fishing rocky structure you will get hung up and lose jigs. So one or two bucktails are just going to make you frustrated. 

If you were going fishing for a solid week and planned to use bucktails a good deal, I'd think you might need at least a dozen of 1 and 1 1/2 ounce...half a dozen, at least, of 2. And maybe a few 3 and 4 if you were going to be at an inlet with current.

Plus you will need to get some pork rinds strips or the OtterTail strips to dress them.

One plus with bucktails is that they work in almost all weather and surf conditions. For really heavy surf, a North bar plastic bottle plug will be good...white or yellow.  Chartreuse if water is very Sandy or dirty from a storm.

Speaking of which, seaweed, of various flavors, can really mess you up.  One nice trick, as others have suggested, is Sluggos. Nice 9" Sluggo, white during day, with the Owner Beast weighted hook rigged at the nose, Tex-posed. So you insert the hook point, rig it thru so that after it penetrates the nose for about 1/4", it comes out of the plastic " thru the air" and then back into the plastic from the bottom, and out the top.  Now your hook point is exposed but laying close to the top surface of the Sluggo. Push the actual point if the hook lightly into the Sluggo so there is actually no point exposed anymore.  You really need to have the Sluggo look as if it's perfectly straight. The hook can't put a "crook" into it or it won't swim right and will look wonky. It takes a bit of practice. If it looks funky, just redo it until you get it right. There's some good wide gap hooks with a screw at the eye so you can screw the hook in and it holds a lot better than if you just thread it thru 1/4" of the nose.  The weighed wide gap hooks like the Owner Beast are good...maybe a 6/0 or even 8/0. They will cash surprising well too.  Sometimes you don't need to cast that far and want a super natural presentation that sinks SLOWLY...and then you can rig it with a wide gap unweighted hook...still Tex-posed.  Super nice presentation and weedless.

This is about as weedless as you are going to get. It will operate in weedy areas and rocky areas pretty well with minimal hangups...so you can really let the thing get towards the bottom and not worry nearly as much as other plugs about getting stuck.

12 hours ago, codfish said:

A picture is worth a thousand words Lunker City 6 inch sluggo:)

s-l225.jpg

I forgot to mention when choosing a hook make sure its a 2 or 3 x in strength 

For $60 bucks I'd grab a pack of Cocahoe minnows in pearl color in the 3 or  4" size (Queen).Team those up with a pack of 1/2 oz. and 1 oz. bare jig heads. I'd also buy a white Andrus Jetty caster bucktail jig in 1/2 oz., 3/4 oz. and/or 1 oz. size. Add a container of Fat cow or Otter tail strips for the bucktail trailer. Next buy a Daiwa SP minnow ( floater) in wonderbread, bone or really any fishy color. Then get a pack of white or black 7 1/2 " or 9" Lunker city Slug-gos. Get some good Owner beast hooks for them. Finally, I would buy a Super Strike darter if you plan on fishing after dark in any kind of current. Get white yellow or chartreuse ( flo yellow).