Spigola

Fluking 2019

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Is it just me or does this fluke season suck so far?  This time last year we were hammering them.  So far this year, I've seen 3 keepers caught in 3 days fishing inside GB.  And when will this wind ever let up?

Been pretty poor, half dozen trips three people two keepers. We've experienced lots or rain and wind limiting drifting opportunity. The warm surface water temps were deceiving as the fish that we caught were cold with dirty bellies. Adding to the confusion is reports of more keepers being  caught close to inlets which is opposite of past early season patterns.  Also haven't heard of any large fish being caught, very confusing. 

Just checked the marine forecast.

TODAY  E winds 15 to 20 kt with gusts up to 30 kt, becoming SE  10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 25 kt late this morning, then  becoming SW 5 to 10 kt this afternoon. Seas 4 to 7 ft. Swell  mainly from the SE with a dominant period of 7 seconds. Patchy  fog this morning. Rain this morning, then a chance of rain or  patchy drizzle this afternoon. Vsby 1 to 3 NM until late  afternoon.  

TONIGHT  SW winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 25 kt, becoming  W 15 to 20 kt with gusts up to 25 kt late. Seas 4 to 6 ft. Swell  mainly from the S with a dominant period of 7 seconds. A chance  of showers in the evening.

FRI  W winds 15 to 20 kt with gusts up to 30 kt. Seas 3 to  5 ft. Swell mainly from the S with a dominant period of  8 seconds.

FRI NIGHT  W winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 20 kt,  diminishing to 5 to 10 kt late. Seas 3 to 4 ft. Swell mainly from  the S with a dominant period of 8 seconds.

SAT  SW winds 5 to 10 kt, increasing to 15 to 20 kt with gusts  up to 25 kt in the afternoon. Seas 3 to 5 ft.  

SAT NIGHT  SW winds 15 to 20 kt with gusts up to 25 kt. Seas  3 to 5 ft.  

SUN  SW winds 15 to 20 kt with gusts up to 25 kt. Seas 4 to  6 ft.  

SUN NIGHT  SW winds 15 to 20 kt with gusts up to 25 kt. Seas  4 to 6 ft. A chance of tstms in the evening. A chance of showers.

MON  SW winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 20 kt. Seas 3 to  5 ft. A chance of showers in the morning.

MON NIGHT  SW winds 15 to 20 kt with gusts up to 25 kt. Seas  3 to 4 ft. A chance of showers and tstms.    Winds and seas higher in and near tstms.

Used to say the weather was a stripers best friend. guess it goes for fluke as well. :mad:

I'm going to have to spend more time burning up ammunition at the skeet range.  But, even there the wind is a pain in the ass.  Lose, lose situation this year.

This year has been dookie. 3-4 trips a week, only 5 or 6 keepers thus far. Nothing of size.

A week before opening day a friend and myself were out doing some R&D and it was drop and reel fishing. Season opened and fishing went dead.

Went out the Sunday after it opened up and rented a skiff. There was zero wind and the fishing was trash. There was a channel where people were catching shorts but I'll just let you imagine what that scenario looked like.

I have yet to give it a solid shot from the sod or by boat. Flounder fishing was better last year than in 2017 so hopefully that trend continues. 

Yup.....2017 was horrible...2018 was better but the wind this year has been hard to deal with so far.....drift is everything.

fished a rental boat last monday and tuesday out of belmar. pick up 4k on monday and 8 ks tuesday between 2 people. had to work alot of spots for the fish. most were in the very skinny channel making  very short drift. weekday are so much better then weekends. 

16 hours ago, fishunt727 said:

fished a rental boat last monday and tuesday out of belmar. pick up 4k on monday and 8 ks tuesday between 2 people. had to work alot of spots for the fish. most were in the very skinny channel making  very short drift. weekday are so much better then weekends. 

Hope you only took home 6 fish for the 2 people.

I think water temps have played a part.  My brother was out on a boat in a river and closer to the inlet water was high 50s = very slow fishing.  Moved inland, found a shallower area with a channel where the temps were in the mid-60s = consistent shorts mixed in with some keepers.