WXZ31

Solo montauk trip

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Bring water

 

Scout during the day and come back just before dark to get on ur rock or settup in your spot.

 

Bring an extra light

 

korkers are necessary

 

Wetsuits are safer than waders but each have their own application.

 

It helps if youre in shape and willing to walk for miles. I primarily fish NJ but I've been making weekend treks to M to challenge myself with learning a new type of structure.

 

Last but not least... curb all of your expectations at the door. This is a difficult place to fish, to learn, and to figure out. My first few trips yielded nothing but a handful of rats. Last year I got into fish in the 20lb range without a soul in sight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Billwetzel said:

What new moon are u fishing?

Above is the person you should take Montuak advise from, likely has more hours there than all here combined X10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Joking is part of the game, its part of the culture, has been for decades and should continue to be.  So much about how people become involved with surf fishing has changed, how they approach the learning process as such has also changed  and the learning curve of the past is now as far as your cell phone or your computer instead of the beach and the dunes that are paid there.  Theres nothing wrong with questioning and researching in the internet as it's become the worlds new norm, just like theres nothing wrong with joking about it when someone does....I suppose it's all just part of the game now and a reminder of where the real learning happens.....not here....out there, a fading honor.

Edited by DeepBlue85

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First time?  Get a guide!  Even for a little while.  I got to do things the hard way, and I'm sure I'm doing it wrong after several decades, but what I would've saved on plugs and jigs if I had just got a guide the first couple of times.  Not to mention a ton of lost time.  Be on your toes for ticks, don't attempt the rocks and despite what you may read in the report sections of other pages, don't have your hopes up for bass.  Unless you get real lucky, only bass you will see are carcasses in garbage cans behind Salivar's. 

 

But hell ya, give it a try.  Even if there's no chance of fish, I'm still doing it.  Sore knees, busted shins and torn-up fingers, I'm still going.  Good luck and be careful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wetsuit and korkers.. the water out at the end of the island moves like no other. respect other anglers, if everyone is fishing darters and you throw a bucktail you'll get scolded. As others have said, keep your expectations low, ive gone to mecca a few times for a change of pace and don't have much to show for it but lost sleep and a few schoolies and gators.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

13 hours ago, DeepBlue85 said:

Joking is part of the game, its part of the culture, has been for decades and should continue to be.  So much about how people become involved with surf fishing has changed, how they approach the learning process as such has also changed  and the learning curve of the past is now as far as your cell phone or your computer instead of the beach and the dunes that are paid there.  Theres nothing wrong with questioning and researching in the internet as it's become the worlds new norm, just like theres nothing wrong with joking about it when someone does....I suppose it's all just part of the game now and a reminder of where the real learning happens.....not here....out there, a fading honor.

Please spare us the back in my day up hill both ways crap.  There is a thread in the main right now where a bunch of geezers are complaining about cell phones and head lamps.  Probably best to consolidate.

Edited by Cpalms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cpalms said:

Please spare us the back in my day up hill both ways crap.  There is a thread in the main right now where a bunch of geezers are complaining about cell phones and head lamps.  Probably best to consolidate.

Put your head lamp away simple. Be a fisherman at least try to act like one. Your always attacking someone on here.  Leave your cell phone in the truck. For the op korkers get out in the day check some spots and trie fishing them at night. A lot of ground to cover it’s taken some of us many years to just start to get intimate with Montauk. Good luck enjoy the adventure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

19 mins ago, hydraman said:

Put your head lamp away simple. Be a fisherman at least try to act like one. Your always attacking someone on here.  Leave your cell phone in the truck. For the op korkers get out in the day check some spots and trie fishing them at night. A lot of ground to cover it’s taken some of us many years to just start to get intimate with Montauk. Good luck enjoy the adventure. 

I didn't attack anybody - the incessant complaining just gets so old. 

Edited by Cpalms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See what I mean.  Just does not make any sense for people to post tough guy comments or know it all stuff.  He came to the website to learn and ask questions.  The internet or the cell phone does not change the game.  Just new technology.  Back then reports where still given out but in different methods. Fisherman generally have respect for others and the beach. This thread has more posts about jokes and tough guys then general info that will give this guy more confidence to hit montauk.  

 

But it seems to be a common thing on almost ever thread on SOL.   Reports chasers will fail in life and sport.....respect that and move on.....  Maybe he is has bad eye site so he needs the light on longer then you.  respect that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have it bring a NY Empire pass for the Montauk/Camp Hero parking lots. Stay downtown at the Bornfree suites or Atlantic Terrace near the tackle shop, some of the least expensive places in town. You can also fish and hike the beaches there all night long. Nights, dawn and dusk are the best fishing. Pre-tie plenty of leaders for night fishing! Stop at the Chamber of Commerce and inquire about parking and access, cause the tickets are steep out there. Bring a bicycle, and you can fish Ditch plains, and the Gin beach/east jetty area which requires resident parking. Have your marine registry card on your person while fishing. Good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 6/12/2019 at 2:18 PM, WXZ31 said:

Looking to make plans, going in completely blind any tips or things to know? Looking to fish around new moon  so not knowing the area & no natural light is going to be a challenge. Any advice is appreciated.  

Did you make it out there yet? I had just got back from my first time out. Slept in my truck after buying the 7 day sport fishing permit. Had plenty of bluefish and one striper the first day and one lonely cocktail blue the second. Finally got to use my wetsuit I bought two years ago in preparation for a trip to montauk and had some fun pushing myself to get out to some rocks. Next year I’ll be buying the night time pass just to park in the lot and going back for more fun. 

Edited by Flukeu626

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2019 at 2:18 PM, WXZ31 said:

Looking to make plans, going in completely blind any tips or things to know? Looking to fish around new moon  so not knowing the area & no natural light is going to be a challenge. Any advice is appreciated.  

Bill Wetzel is the guy to ask or book a trip with. He will put you on fish and keep you safe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2019 at 0:15 PM, DeepBlue85 said:

Ignorance is bliss I suppose, I envy you young man.

Wow I give you credit for letting that smart @ss talk to you like that and not freaking out on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Worse things out there.... people dont have to agree, it's how I learned....thinking I knew better and learning otherwise, in fishing and in life.

Edited by DeepBlue85

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.