WXZ31

Solo montauk trip

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Looking to make plans, going in completely blind any tips or things to know? Looking to fish around new moon  so not knowing the area & no natural light is going to be a challenge. Any advice is appreciated.  

Too much to tell. There are other threads just like yours on SOL. Search for results. A lot of good info.

Safety first out there. Korkers or studded boots are a must.

Just now, Nite_Bite_00 said:

Too much to tell. There are other threads just like yours on SOL. Search for results. A lot of good info.

Safety first out there. Korkers or studded boots are a must.

Yeah I was hoping for a pm or something, gear is not a concern only saftey.

Slippery out there. Bucktails daytime (to start off) - plugs at night. Get a feel of the currents during the day, because night can be tough. 

Is this more of a "bucket list"  nostalgia thing ?...  Billy the Greek always said  that you are better off fishing your own back yard then heading out to Montauk and fishing blind.

Either way... GOOD LUCK and hope you knock 'em dead.

35 mins ago, JoeGBreezy said:

There are big ugly guys stripping in the lower lot all the time !

Burned in my brain at too young of an age!!    :shock:

Why does it seem some members comment with Jokes instead of helping.  You can still help with out given out spots or a certain bite.

I go to montauk once or twice a year.  Just the trip alone will make it fun.  great place.  I would not start fishing at night unless you know the lay of the land first.  This is a very difficulty place but can be learned just as quick as your back yard fishing holes.  Try a few places during the day and see the way the water moves at each point and any dangers you may not see at night.  If you like what you see then hit it at night.  This will help you in having the confidence to attack it at night and know how to push out the south side.  The north side is little easier but even certain areas may need you to hop on some rocks for the right angle of attack and not to get cut off by rocks when hooked up. Match what you see during the day and tide and repeat at night.  I prefer the fall as fishing seems to be little easier and could be a day bite, less traffic, and people.  I cant see why you can not catch a few bass and blues during the day any month.  

I do not know where you fish but what I have noticed is the current there is very fast and strong. Stronger then any place I fished before. Also make sure your gear is fined tuned and have back up as this place with chew up your gear.  Get some extra rod tips and glue, extra rod and reel, waders, and fish bucktails.  The bucktail can tell you a lot of feed back as depth, current speed and if you lose one who cares as there or cheap.

Also bring plenty of water as walking can take longer and more stressful with the rocky terrain.  Good luck and have fun. 

What is great about montauk is there so many spots that look great in a short walk VS say sand beaches that could have miles of no structure.  And you may get addicted and make more trips.

1 hour ago, Chrisabbatiello said:

Why does it seem some members comment with Jokes instead of helping.  You can still help with out given out spots or a certain bite.

I go to montauk once or twice a year.  Just the trip alone will make it fun.  great place.  I would not start fishing at night unless you know the lay of the land first.  This is a very difficulty place but can be learned just as quick as your back yard fishing holes.  Try a few places during the day and see the way the water moves at each point and any dangers you may not see at night.  If you like what you see then hit it at night.  This will help you in having the confidence to attack it at night and know how to push out the south side.  The north side is little easier but even certain areas may need you to hop on some rocks for the right angle of attack and not to get cut off by rocks when hooked up. Match what you see during the day and tide and repeat at night.  I prefer the fall as fishing seems to be little easier and could be a day bite, less traffic, and people.  I cant see why you can not catch a few bass and blues during the day any month.  

I do not know where you fish but what I have noticed is the current there is very fast and strong. Stronger then any place I fished before. Also make sure your gear is fined tuned and have back up as this place with chew up your gear.  Get some extra rod tips and glue, extra rod and reel, waders, and fish bucktails.  The bucktail can tell you a lot of feed back as depth, current speed and if you lose one who cares as there or cheap.

Also bring plenty of water as walking can take longer and more stressful with the rocky terrain.  Good luck and have fun. 

What is great about montauk is there so many spots that look great in a short walk VS say sand beaches that could have miles of no structure.  And you may get addicted and make more trips.

Good post Chris. A joke or two is ok.

There are a dozen threads on SOL on Montauk for him to see with great advice. That's all.

2 hours ago, Chrisabbatiello said:

Appreciate the post.