coastalfreak

Best Rod for Abu C4 5600

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

For my birthday last year, my brother bought me an Abu C4 5600. I was planning on putting the reel on this old Loomis rod I had, but that broke after I shut my trunk door on it (years ago). Now, in saltwater, I pretty much use spinning reels exclusively, but I think I'm gonna try that Abu out in the blue. I would use this for inshore fishing for trout, reds, and flounder, as well as at the surf for those same species plus Whiting, Croakers, Ladies, Mackerels, etc. I would be throwing lures up to 5/8 oz or bait rigs no bigger than 1 oz total.

Thanks. The cheaper the better!!! 

Get a rod rated 5/8-1 oz. It doesn't matter too much what length it is, because 1) you are learning how to use the reel and 2) there is only so far you can throw those baits anyway. 

As long as you don't demand a 9' casting rod with a surf handle, you have a bunch of options. 

PS: if you are learning a baitcaster, you can just flip a spinning rod over until you master the reel. Then, if for some reason you decide you won't be using the reel (and there are a number of legitimate reasons), you can still use the rod. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've seen good rods go for $25 on Amazon just because they are returns. Shop the used filter.

I am a fan of Okuma rods. For the same price as an ugly stick, you can buy a rod with good action. It'll actually bend when a fish nibbles. One of my favorite multi-task setups is the Abu 6500 and an Okuma Sst. I prefer the carbon grip model. In saltwater I fish for similar species as you. The rod throws far and has great bite detection.  I just went through a week of punishment with it, and it held up fine. Just make sure to keep it clean.

There are several casting advantages with a round reel. So, buy a middle road rod and don't look back.

Edited by fishhappy

22 hours ago, Sweetwater said:

Get a rod rated 5/8-1 oz. It doesn't matter too much what length it is, because 1) you are learning how to use the reel and 2) there is only so far you can throw those baits anyway. 

As long as you don't demand a 9' casting rod with a surf handle, you have a bunch of options. 

PS: if you are learning a baitcaster, you can just flip a spinning rod over until you master the reel. Then, if for some reason you decide you won't be using the reel (and there are a number of legitimate reasons), you can still use the rod. 

Isn't the rod designed to bend the opposite way (down/towards the eyes with a spinner and down/away from the eyes with a conventional rod)? Couldn't that lead to problems down the road? Not attacking, just asking to learn.

Jvisconti:

Your question is good. Think about it for a second, though. If I build a rod that is on the spine when I hook a fish, where is the spine when I cast?