jjdbike

Reinforcing bucktails: hard as nails?

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

The good news is I just got some nice looking  bucktails that look perfect for my application.

The bad news is the thread wraps are not coated & the paint finish looks a little thin / vulnerable.

Would it increase their durability to dip them in Sally Hansen Hard as Nails (i.e head & wrap)?

Any downsides or cautions?

Any helpful hints on how to do this for best results?

Thanks in advance.

JD

Use a little 30 minute epoxy thinned with denatured alcohol and apply to the threads....dont even bother with the heads their gonna get beat to tell anyway 

I don't think the paint on the jig head really makes a big difference.  When I tie my own bucktails, I put two coats of hard as nails on the thread followed by a coat of clear five minute epoxy. 

Hard as nails needs to soak in to really be effective

Just paint on some cheap clear (thicker) nail polish

Even better use a small foam brush and paint on some epoxy (just NOT the 5 minute stuff, that's neither tough or waterproof)

3 mins ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Been using Sally for years....just apply enough coats.

+1

When i'm done adding hair & i'm doing my finishing wraps i slather it on & keep wrapping over it.....then a few final coats again later when finished, never had it un-wrap

For the jig itself, vinyl paint is the most resistant to damage. Coating hard lead with hard epoxy is a waste of time. 

Hard as nails, ok for thread. Completely useless on the jig. 

Without knowing what the paint and/or clear coating is on the head I'd hesitate to use the Hard As Nails on the head.  It could make the head coating or paint run or orange peel or soften it.  On the wraps it's fine.  

22 mins ago, hobobob said:

liquid krazy glue for threads. The cheapest kind, let it soak in.

^^   That what I do for the threads...    Lightly wrap and let the crazy glue soak into the threads and bucktail, then a few more wraps and more crazy glue ....      

will never unwrap ...  

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Been using Sally for years....just apply enough coats.

3 hours ago, Drew C. said:

For the jig itself, vinyl paint is the most resistant to damage. Coating hard lead with hard epoxy is a waste of time. 

Hard as nails, ok for thread. Completely useless on the jig. 

3 hours ago, Dan Tinman said:

Without knowing what the paint and/or clear coating is on the head I'd hesitate to use the Hard As Nails on the head.  It could make the head coating or paint run or orange peel or soften it.  On the wraps it's fine.  

3 hours ago, hobobob said:

liquid krazy glue for threads. The cheapest kind, let it soak in.

Thanks everyone I needed to know that.

i was considering crazy glue.

i think I bought the wrong Sally H stuff. See pic. I think I just bought “clear nail paint” instead of topcoat protection- sealer.

6CC5FD73-3348-4D88-AAC9-2983EC3D3CED.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Another vote for any liquid crazy glue .. soaks in well .. gets rock hard .. and easy enough to take a razor knife and cut off threads when time to retie ... 

just make sure you give it plenty time to dry before getting wet otherwise it will look milky, which isn’t a huge deal , still will cure hard 

no matter what ya use there’s no stopping the deer hair from breaking or being taken by toothy critters ... just part of it 

Edited by Wire For Fire

You can get a bottle of cyanoacrolate (crazy glue) with an application brush from harbor freight with a 20 percent off coupon for change.