bassturds

Galway, Ireland

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Heading to Galway in August. First time going to this part. Need some fishing info! Looking for a guide! Also can’t decide if I want to do a pike, Atlantic salmon charter or go saltwater. 

I’ve caught pike before but not the size they get over seas. Only caught one Atlantic salmon. Probably my only one I’ll ever get in the states. They also get some pretty cool saltwater fish that we don’t have over here in MA

If I'm not mistaken, I believe they have a striped bass there as well, maybe not as big as what we see here but vary similar in habit and habitat. I believe that it's referred to as a rock fish or rock bass. I've fished in Donegal some years back (fly fished -no luck, dock fished in Donegal Bay and caught a good sized sole (flounder) that I gave to a nephew's friend to bring home. I was able to see what was below the dock because of the clear waters and saw some big fish that I thought might be king mackerel cruising through the bay.

You'd be better off fishing guided inland, and checking with locals tackle shops to see if salt fishing is feasible. In any case, just to be there is a great start. Enjoy the food and whatever festivities you can!

Guides there are notoriously bad at getting back to you. From what I heard and by personal experience. One was going to take me, forgot to call back, had to cancel when I called him back, called me back and said a friend of his would call me in a few hours,... no trip. I contacted at least 6, he was the only one to respond, other than a guy who wasn't going to be in the same area as me at the same time. 

I'll be there in Tipperary Co. in September for two weeks to visit my wife's family. Never been to Ireland before but I'll definitely be doing some fishing around there mainly for Pike and Trout in the fresh, but mainly for Cod and Pollack (not sure if they're around then) and may be European Sea Bass if I'm very lucky. I did some research and see that Burren area south of Galway might be a good place to fish (mainly for Pollack I think). Please report back and I could use some of that info for when I get there :)

Cheers!

Maruthu