scooleen74

Off Instagram

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I dropped Instagram last week.  I found I was getting angry with certain aspects of the sport like bowfishing, poorly handled fish, the fly rod over the shoulders pose, elbows in fish out forced perspective, buffs and salt gloves for cloudy adirondacks trout fishing, hot spotting, and "ambassadors"....I havent missed it.

Funny thing is, now I dont feel the need to take pics of all my fish.  I enjoy the sport of fly fishing more and do it for what it was intended in the first place for me.

Let's not forget keeping the fish out of water as the angler texts the story and caption to the picture.  I live on the water and have seen Bass held out of the water for almost three minutes!  Lets hold the Instagrammers under for three minutes and check out how their doing!

I took a break it was neither good nor bad.  I like Instagram for fly tying in particular.  I have been able to connect with different fly tiers around the world and learned a lot.  My striper flies have been impacted by the European pike fly anglers, Musking fly anglers, Lousiana LMB fly fishers, and by Australian Barramundi fly anglers.  This has helped with creative ideas by blending different styles.  I only take pictures of fish over 30 inches these days and even then I don't take pictures of most of those either.  Of the fish, I have caught this year I have only take pictures of 5 total fish.

The negative things you mention are all there on Instagram.  I decide not to follow a lot of people if I don't like their content.  If I don't' follow them I don't see it.  But no disagreement from you on the negative aspects at all.  For me its also been helpful in meeting other fly fishers similar to SOL.  I get useful advice from those other anglers which has been the best part of instagram.  There are plenty of awful threads on here too.  The internet is a brutal place in general.

It's funny, some students at UMass Amherst are conducting a survey about how anglers perceive fish pics online. I have a feeling that they are trying to see if poor fish handling techniques are learned behaviors, with the "hero shots" on Instagram and other social media being one of the main influences. I'll be curious too see what these students have to say once they publish their results.  I wish I still had the link to the survey, but I can't find it. Maybe some one else on SOL knows what I'm talking about and can share it on this thread?

I took a couple pics the first 2 weeks of the season and a couple tarpon pics over the winter, but then I decided to stop carrying my phone with me at all when I go out. I think I got this pavlovian conditioning that if it vibrated I had to check it, and that was interrupting my fishing, so now I leave it in the car. I have to say so far the results have been very calming. I don't do instagram but I do like seeing pics of flies people are tying that come on a FB group I can't remember the name of...

I like it for the announcements of sales and maybe someday I will win a six-pack of bucktails just for liking the post and sharing it with 3 people like my wife, mom, and sister.

On 6/12/2019 at 0:51 PM, flyman28 said:

Let's not forget keeping the fish out of water as the angler texts the story and caption to the picture.  I live on the water and have seen Bass held out of the water for almost three minutes!  Lets hold the Instagrammers under for three minutes and check out how their doing!

I wish I could say that is the worst behavior I have seen.  But I fish the Canal.....

On 6/12/2019 at 1:01 PM, The Graveyard Shift said:

The negative things you mention are all there on Instagram.  I decide not to follow a lot of people if I don't like their content.  If I don't' follow them I don't see it.  But no disagreement from you on the negative aspects at all.  For me its also been helpful in meeting other fly fishers similar to SOL.  I get useful advice from those other anglers which has been the best part of instagram.  There are plenty of awful threads on here too.  The internet is a brutal place in general.

Well said!