SurfCaster21

50lb/65lb Braid for Surf (recommendation thread)

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

Read all across google and different forums looking for an answer, maybe I am overthinking the whole thing. I will be surf fishing tarpon maybe small/md sharks a couple times a year. I will be getting a BG6500 on 8ft Termar xh. It is my understanding x4 is more abrasion resistant and x8 is slicker/casts further. Does one make more sense than the other in this scenario, will the sand really wear down the x8 that much more? If another braid will better suit me I am open for recommendation also.

65lb braid for small to medium sized sharks?

Why?

It's like casting ski-rope.

Are you casting off a boat?

But perhaps I should ask you to define small to medium 1st?

Kind of going to be a "do-all" set up for me since it would get used when I am in FL. I am leaning more toward the 50 to be honest. I *may* once in a blue moon be fishing with this rod from boat. I have never really set up a rod/reel with line this heavy so really just getting my feet wet. I figure small/med shark anything under 6'?

If you are fishing from shore you don’t need line that is much heavier than your drag.    If your drag is say 30 lbs what’s the point of 65# anything.  If you are trying to heave ho over a pier well then we should talk shock leader/topshot

2 hours ago, SurfCaster21 said:

Read all across google and different forums looking for an answer, maybe I am overthinking the whole thing. I will be surf fishing tarpon maybe small/md sharks a couple times a year. I will be getting a BG6500 on 8ft Termar xh. It is my understanding x4 is more abrasion resistant and x8 is slicker/casts further. Does one make more sense than the other in this scenario, will the sand really wear down the x8 that much more? If another braid will better suit me I am open for recommendation also.

x4, like Daiwa J-Braid for example, is a better choice than their 8 strand for what you're doing. With that being said, if you were to use Sufix 832, that's suitable for beach tarpon and sharking. 

The 8 strand J braid is awesome stuff, just better suited for tossing lures in freshwater IMO.

You mentioned you're buying a 8' Shimano Teramar with a Daiwa BG6500. I've never seen a Teramar in an 8' XH spinning version, and didn't see any on Shimano's site either. Are you putting a spinning reel on a conventional rod? 

29 mins ago, TopwaterPete said:

x4, like Daiwa J-Braid for example, is a better choice than their 8 strand for what you're doing. With that being said, if you were to use Sufix 832, that's suitable for beach tarpon and sharking. 

The 8 strand J braid is awesome stuff, just better suited for tossing lures in freshwater IMO.

You mentioned you're buying a 8' Shimano Teramar with a Daiwa BG6500. I've never seen a Teramar in an 8' XH spinning version, and didn't see any on Shimano's site either. Are you putting a spinning reel on a conventional rod? 

Thank you for the info, I will check out the Suffix tonight.

No, at least I do not think so, it is the Shimano TMSX80XH. It is my understanding that the TMS  (Spinning) TMC (Conventional).

37 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

If you are fishing from shore you don’t need line that is much heavier than your drag.    If your drag is say 30 lbs what’s the point of 65# anything.  If you are trying to heave ho over a pier well then we should talk shock leader/topshot

Most of anything I have read online stated 50 is ideal for Tarpon fishing from beach. Some have used lighter for this but figured since this is new for me heavier might be better.

2 hours ago, SurfCaster21 said:

Most of anything I have read online stated 50 is ideal for Tarpon fishing from beach. Some have used lighter for this but figured since this is new for me heavier might be better.

Prudent.  ^^^^

5 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

65lb braid for small to medium sized sharks?

Why?

It's like casting ski-rope.

Are you casting off a boat?

But perhaps I should ask you to define small to medium 1st?

I have fished 65 lb braid off the beach for the last 12 yrs. It is not like casting ski rope.

I used to fish boulder fields with my drag locked down. Only way to turn a fish before it broke you off in the rocks.

I saw my first tarpon caught down here last week. About 75 lbs. I wouldnt fish under 50 lb braid for them 

For the record 65 lb braid is equivalant diameter to 14 lb mono give or take a little.

5 hours ago, SurfCaster21 said:

I guess my only thought is if your drag is 30# what would be the benefit to stronger line?  If the stress is over 30# the drag will kick in.  Even if the Tarpon 100# it does not matter until the fish is grounded and you are dragging it on the sand pulling it by the line.

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, reelfire said:

I have fished 65 lb braid off the beach for the last 12 yrs. It is not like casting ski rope.

I used to fish boulder fields with my drag locked down. Only way to turn a fish before it broke you off in the rocks.

I saw my first tarpon caught down here last week. About 75 lbs. I wouldnt fish under 50 lb braid for them 

For the record 65 lb braid is equivalant diameter to 14 lb mono give or take a little.

I know you do like to fish heavy braid.

It has its uses as described of course; and if thicker line is a better choice then it is.

I was being a bit childish describing it as ski rope, but 65lb braid does not have a dia close to 14lb mono.

14lb mono has a typical dia of 0.35mm / 0.0138"

40lb braid averages out at 0.36mm / 0.014" so it's more like 14b mono

65lb braid averages out at 0.46mm / 0.018" so it's more like 25lb mono

Edited by ZAFisher

18 hours ago, SurfCaster21 said:

Thank you for the info, I will check out the Suffix tonight.

No, at least I do not think so, it is the Shimano TMSX80XH. It is my understanding that the TMS  (Spinning) TMC (Conventional).

Good eye on the Southeast Teramar Spinning! I didn't even know they made the Teramars that strong, at least the ones with cork grips. You're correct on the TMS/C denominations.

The BG 6500 is a very beefy reel for that rod, but you don't want to go under-gunned for tarpon and sharks. You may really want to look at the 5000 size BG. If you use 50lb braid, which is plenty strong, you can pack 350 yds of braid. That's more than enough for what you're doing. The reel is not only physically smaller than the 6500, but about 7 ounces less, which is a big, big difference. The 22lbs of drag it packs is more than enough to control a tarpon or shark. 

Now, if you're just tossing bait and waiting, it makes very little difference which one you buy. If you plan on tossing plugs for tarpon at any point, that 5000 BG is going to feel a lot better in your hands than the 6500. Whatever decision you make, tight lines!

3 hours ago, TopwaterPete said:

Good eye on the Southeast Teramar Spinning! I didn't even know they made the Teramars that strong, at least the ones with cork grips. You're correct on the TMS/C denominations.

The BG 6500 is a very beefy reel for that rod, but you don't want to go under-gunned for tarpon and sharks. You may really want to look at the 5000 size BG. If you use 50lb braid, which is plenty strong, you can pack 350 yds of braid. That's more than enough for what you're doing. The reel is not only physically smaller than the 6500, but about 7 ounces less, which is a big, big difference. The 22lbs of drag it packs is more than enough to control a tarpon or shark. 

Now, if you're just tossing bait and waiting, it makes very little difference which one you buy. If you plan on tossing plugs for tarpon at any point, that 5000 BG is going to feel a lot better in your hands than the 6500. Whatever decision you make, tight lines!

No problem. Have a ton of time in reading. Internet is my only resource at the moment. I looked at the 5000 and heavily considered it, but ordered the 6500 this morning to make sure it gets here in time. I will mostly be tossing live/dead bait and waiting but I did purchase a couple of DOA baitbusters I am going to give a shot at. I figured the 33 lbs. of drag would give me room to grow into if I ever started targeting even bigger stuff but honestly wasn't sure if the 22 lbs would be enough so figured better to have and not need than need and not have. Since the reel is so big should I just back the spool with 50lb mono then go braid and leader/top shot?

Going out on a boat one or two days of my trip for red snapper with a buddy so I guess at the very least the 33 lb drag may help if I get into something bigger, never know what might find your bait. 

46 mins ago, SurfCaster21 said:

No problem. Have a ton of time in reading. Internet is my only resource at the moment. I looked at the 5000 and heavily considered it, but ordered the 6500 this morning to make sure it gets here in time. I will mostly be tossing live/dead bait and waiting but I did purchase a couple of DOA baitbusters I am going to give a shot at. I figured the 33 lbs. of drag would give me room to grow into if I ever started targeting even bigger stuff but honestly wasn't sure if the 22 lbs would be enough so figured better to have and not need than need and not have. Since the reel is so big should I just back the spool with 50lb mono then go braid and leader/top shot?

Going out on a boat one or two days of my trip for red snapper with a buddy so I guess at the very least the 33 lb drag may help if I get into something bigger, never know what might find your bait. 

That will work then regarding the rod/reel. Definitely back your reel with mono and then put as much braid as you want.  

18 hours ago, reelfire said:

If you fish Boulder fields wouldn’t it be best to use mono?  At least for a long top shot.