RSurf97

Bent Hooks - Hulk Fish

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

56 mins ago, bob_G said:

I agree. The plugs are great, but the hooks are junk. That said, I'm not sure sp minnows were designed to regularly hook fish over 30lbs.

Ive tried upgrading the hooks, be advised going to larger, heavier hooks will adversely impact its action.  Ive found a modified canal style rigging is a good compromise. YMMV.

Oddly, the newer 13f and 17f SP’s come with good hardware, the original 15f’s still come with junk. 

4 hours ago, bob_G said:

I agree. The plugs are great, but the hooks are junk. That said, I'm not sure sp minnows were designed to regularly hook fish over 30lbs.

Ive tried upgrading the hooks, be advised going to larger, heavier hooks will adversely impact its action.  Ive found a modified canal style rigging is a good compromise. YMMV.

I’ve found a stronger hook on an sp is perfect......any bigger and the action is shot.

I’m now a huge fan of the belly hook only....split ring-swivel-split ring- hook setup on magic swimmers.

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 1:36 PM, RSurf97 said:

Bob,

I took your comment as positive.  Sometimes the fish will just win. As I think about this, one possibility is that all three hooks were landed in the corner of the jaw, some in the top and one in the bottom.  The fish could then bend the hooks while opening and closing the jaw.  

In any event, Fish 1, Fisherman 0.

personally,I would have to say the fish could not bend that hook like that by closing it's mouth,I say poor hook penetration is the culprit.

not your fault,just the way it goes sometimes.

HH