RSurf97

Bent Hooks - Hulk Fish

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

5 mins ago, Seadogg said:

Big fish have a lot of raw power man. A solid mass of muscle thrashing for its life. 

Yep. If you really think about it, a full sized bass is larger in body than a grown man's leg. And consider how much power a leg can deliver. 

I once had a tackle shop owner give me the hairy eyeball when I was asking for certain hooks. Told me, "You don't need it for Bass Fishing".  One of the best fisherman I know who lived on the West Coast can't believe the brutality of what a common 40lb class bass can do too hooks and rings.

I've had bass take a plug in shallow, scrub it on rocks, smash and twist the plug, and got off. Even jigging with a single hook. They get leverage down there and they tug pretty good especially in shallow. Big swooping tails to roll into a boulder field, grabbing lobsters out of crevices and shaking the crap out of them and ejecting the claws, crushing with authority. Lb for lb they are up there with some ruthless critters that also break tackle and hearts. I love it. Glad we get to fish for em on the New England coastline. It's fun.

On 6/12/2019 at 10:39 AM, RSurf97 said:

It is amazing to think a striper can bend all three prongs of a treble 5X hook like this.  What's more after watching the video I was taking at the time,  the fish was only on for about 60 seconds.  I mean it would take 60 seconds for me to put the hook in a vise and bend all three hooks like this.  It even broke the soldier joint. Anyone else had similar experience?

IMG_1216[1].JPG

IMG_1217[1].JPG

Unless you actually saw the fish you hooked , and like Bernie posted, if that is a 5 x hook some thing else was going on beside the fish bending the hook and also turning down the barbs as is shown in the picture.

Mine for this season. Landed many fish on this fly up to 20lbs. Hooked a beast a few weeks ago and it managed to break this 8/0 hook clean. I think the hook was overhardened, because I wasn’t really putting a ton of pressure on the fish. It didn’t bend at all, just broke. When the line went slack I assumed it spit the fly because it was scraping the bottom like a freak. Took me 10 minutes to realize the hook was gone. Included a pic of the fly unfished. 

94559F8A-2F6C-47DB-987C-50148CFD8A28.jpeg

FFA89ACF-B804-4B76-873C-BBF9AB2394DE.jpeg

43408E85-C88B-434A-A5B0-57596E24D94D.jpeg

Sea dog in another time while chunking for large blue fish off West Dennis Beach I was using stainless siwash hooks and we hooked a fish of size got it to the surface and horsed to fight, only to have the hook break in the same area of the one you show. That was the first and only time ever having a hook break with a fish on

Bware,glad I am not the only one who hasn't bent a hook,have caught many large bass in inlets canal boat and beach,haqve had many tug of wars with 400 to 800 lb sels never bent a hook.i will say I have bent a few removing them from the bass's jaw.with my pliers

11 hours ago, Duke of the North Shore said:

Braid+ 40lb+ leader and tighten down drags = bent hooks

How about 65lb braid and a locked drag? :laugh:

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

How about 65lb braid and a locked drag? :laugh:

A good way to get pulled off your rock and into the drink or maybe just lose your rod...………...

twice now in the canal I've fished big swimmers at slack tide and have had a fish take the plug and go straight down to rub it off on the bottom.  
The first time I had a 40lb leader and it snapped.

This time luckily I got the plug back, but there was no turning this fish on the initial run and it went straight down.    

I should take a look at those hooks when I get home!

I opened up a vmc treble the other night on a fish.  Hooked it then it made a wicked long powerful run with crazy head shakes.  Finally slowed down and I tried to turn it but it would not budge.  Then I felt a pop and brought in a opened up vmc.  This fish made the previous fat 42”er feel small 

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, pogie_boy said:

twice now in the canal I've fished big swimmers at slack tide and have had a fish take the plug and go straight down to rub it off on the bottom.  
The first time I had a 40lb leader and it snapped.

This time luckily I got the plug back, but there was no turning this fish on the initial run and it went straight down.    

I should take a look at those hooks when I get home!

It is generaly accepted that a 40 lb. leader should have the drag set at about one third off the breaking strength (12-14 lbs.).  You can always add a little more by cupping the spool.

Another thought on this subject, many people I have seen fishing the Canal are using rods that don't have the backbone to turn a large fish in heavy current, I guess they think it is more important to cast a mile than use a common sense set up capable of handling a large fish in strong current.

My .02 and not directed at anyone...………………... 

Edited by b-ware