RSurf97

Bent Hooks - Hulk Fish

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

It is amazing to think a striper can bend all three prongs of a treble 5X hook like this.  What's more after watching the video I was taking at the time,  the fish was only on for about 60 seconds.  I mean it would take 60 seconds for me to put the hook in a vise and bend all three hooks like this.  It even broke the soldier joint. Anyone else had similar experience?

IMG_1216[1].JPG

IMG_1217[1].JPG

Edited by RSurf97

Ive had that happen a few times over the years. Often when that occurs it means the point of the hooks did not drive fully into the fish's jaw.  The points of the hook were likely hooked in the boney part of the mouth thus increasing leverage. 

The funny part is, there's a chance the barbs prevented the hooks from fully doing their job. Had the barbs been crushed, there's a good chance the hooks would have sunk all the way in and done their job.

Just my thoughts.

Tried crushing the barbs on all those hooks.  5X is a little harder to get crushed all the way, so some of aren't as smooth.  But you are probably right on the hook set.  Could be I didn't get a good pull. 

36 mins ago, RSurf97 said:

Tried crushing the barbs on all those hooks.  5X is a little harder to get crushed all the way, so some of aren't as smooth.  But you are probably right on the hook set.  Could be I didn't get a good pull. 

I didn't mean to imply it was your fault or you did anything wrong. It was probably the luck of the draw. Just the way the plug was positioned it its mouth when he hit.

1 hour ago, RSurf97 said:

It is amazing to think a striper can bend all three prongs of a treble 5X hook like this.  What's more after watching the video I was taking at the time,  the fish was only on for about 60 seconds.  I mean it would take 60 seconds for me to put the hook in a vise and bend all three hooks like this.  It even broke the soldier joint. Anyone else had similar experience?

IMG_1216[1].JPG

IMG_1217[1].JPG

If that is a 5x hook, it is defective...……….. also what made those marks on the hook and the barbs appear to be crushed...….

big bass do that to hooks.  With plugs and trebles, they get leverage and bend them like yours.  With jig hooks, sometimes the tip goes in but doesn't penetrate which makes them bend.  I have a few that big bass pushed into the bottom, bending the hook.

It is amazing to see what the bass can do to the hooks, because we could never do it bare handed.

Bob,

I took your comment as positive.  Sometimes the fish will just win. As I think about this, one possibility is that all three hooks were landed in the corner of the jaw, some in the top and one in the bottom.  The fish could then bend the hooks while opening and closing the jaw.  

In any event, Fish 1, Fisherman 0.

29 mins ago, Slappy said:

big bass do that to hooks.  With plugs and trebles, they get leverage and bend them like yours.  With jig hooks, sometimes the tip goes in but doesn't penetrate which makes them bend.  I have a few that big bass pushed into the bottom, bending the hook.

It is amazing to see what the bass can do to the hooks, because we could never do it bare handed.

I bet we could if one barb was stuck in us, and we knew if we didn't get it out someone would try and eat us.

I must be real lucky, after landing many 30 and 40 lb. bass, some humongus blue fish and a blue shark (on a striper plug) that was guesstamated in the 175 lb. range I have never bent a hook...……….

I've never bent a hook on a striper. Had one break the split rings off and SP before I started riggin them canal style. 

I had a tog snap a 5/0 owner hook. The tog I caught 5 minutes prior was 18.5lbs my PB. Wish I saw that second fish! 

Big fish have a lot of raw power man. A solid mass of muscle thrashing for its life. That’s a nice trophy to go along with the story.