Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HanoverStriper

First time I’ve seen this

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

It's that time of year when turtles are venturing out of their normal habitats to bury their eggs. The sand  from a beach would be an excellent medium for this. I'm guessing there is a freshwater system near there. I remember as a kid bumping into one while catching crabs next to the jetty at Corporation Beach in Dennis.

Yeah, I live on the Indian Head. They come up in my backyard every year to lay eggs this time of year. I could not think of a freshwater area close to where I was. Just surprised the hell out of me. 

57 mins ago, The Rappin One said:

It's that time of year when turtles are venturing out of their normal habitats to bury their eggs. The sand  from a beach would be an excellent medium for this. I'm guessing there is a freshwater system near there. I remember as a kid bumping into one while catching crabs next to the jetty at Corporation Beach in Dennis.

That would scare the chit out of me 

Only ever saw one snapping turtle in saltwater...was fishing a dock shadow line in the middle of the night dropping cloister flies in front of bass that were waiting for shrimp to drift to them. Done this a thousand times...that one night there was a snapping turtle doing the same thing the bass were doing :squid: Not a big guy, maybe 8-9#...but only one I ever saw in saltwater :)

TimS

I’ve seen a snapping turtle in New Bedford Harbor, but there are a couple freshwater systems near enough.

Snapping turtles can cover a mile or more on land to find suitable nesting sites.    

Freshwater turtles can end up in salt water also through storm drains, and also when well-meaning (but uneducated) people pick them up on land and “help” them get back to water.  In some cases, bringing them to salt water.  

I found this one a few years ago while mountain biking. I stopped to take a picture and it came over and tried to bite my tire. 

1FA79C63-4742-4865-ABB8-F17B1BEABCF2.jpeg

This one laid eggs in my side yard after crawling out of the wareham river. Saw one in the water a week later while I was catching schoolies. 

F90FBAC2-B7E9-4731-BC45-09111081791A.jpeg

480E579D-679A-47A2-8604-78701C89F321.jpeg