Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shoot2drill

Line Slap

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I have enjoyed looking at the beautiful rods you guys build on here, great work!  I hope someday I'll find the time/money to build some of my own, but until then I have a question for you guys...

I have a 10'6" TFO GIS 2-6 oz paired with Ultegra 5500XTD running 50# PP super slick.  Completely stock, off the shelf rod.  I have an issue of excessive line slap against the blank, when reeling in slack to make contact with the lure after a cast.  There is not a whole lot of line twist, but the line slap is very annoying.  Could this issue be remedied with pairing a different reel with the rod?  And I am curious as to what the distance the reel should be from the first guide (Gathering guide?).  I am new to this so any information I can get would be appreciated and if there are any recommendations on where I can study up on rod building I would appreciate it.

thanks

On 6/13/2019 at 1:19 AM, shoot2drill said:

Maybe it's the thin diameter of the longcast spool compared to the hieght of the first guide that is the issue?

From what I've researched myself because I'm new to rod building as well, it is the distance between your first guide (the stripper guide) and the reel seat. If its to close your line will over run the guide and if its to far away it will slap the blank.

The cheap and easy way to do it is to try a different kind of braid.

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 8:22 AM, shoot2drill said:

I have an issue of excessive line slap against the blank, when reeling in slack to make contact with the lure after a cast.  There is not a whole lot of line twist, but the line slap is very annoying. 

I don't think I follow this: line slap is usually an issue during casting.

Where does the line slap the blank? And give more detail about how and why it happens: if there's slack, braid is so limp that it should be down at your feet. I am having a hard time seeing how the line could slap under those circumstances.

I think I understand. Your not getting line slap on the actual cast, but after the bail closes and you start reeling in? Thats not an equipment problem. Its more a technique issue. You are letting way too much line out. When you cast, try to slow the line down right before the lure hits the water. You can do this by just placing your pointer finger against the line coming off the spool. Flip the bail quickly . I'd bet you get a lot of wind knots also?

Thick, wet braid is heavy, swung about two end-points it behaves like a jump rope, it billows out; especially when there is lots of slack.

1. Take heed of i07nyc's advice regarding a large amount of slack line between you and the lure - feather the line as he suggested to keep slack to a minimum if you can; use your upper hand to keep tension until such time as you can actually feel the lure when you retrieve.

2. Try a thinner braid (Berkley Pro Spec in 20lb or 30lb comes to mind) and use the #50 you have as a casting leader, say 20' or so FG'd to the main line.

If you happen to have some thinner line lying around, its a free experiment, just spool it up and compare performance.

If you have thinner line that you don't mind wasting, try it. If your gonna buy a spool, make sure its not your technique. If you have bad technique and you switch to 20lb braid, the line slap might stop but other problems will crop up.