slip n slide

what new flies are you using this year?

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Lotta talk on the board this past year about new patterns ppl wanted to try,ie;shrimp,squid,large streamers,flies for night fishing,crabs,etc....

What did you tie up this winter that you're catching on now that's new in your box?

Or,is it the same old thing,year after year;clousers,Rays fly and deceivers?

I had the latest iteration of the squid pattern and a new sand eel I was looking to try but it wasn't in the winds to be out there this spring.

First spring in a loooong time where I didn't make a trip to the coast.It's a 14 hr drive to the Cape to catch mostly fish the size I can catch here at home.Hard to justify.Missing the salt,the smell of the ocean and it's attendant environs ,all my friends,the food etc....but it's the fish for which I travel. 

Lets hope the powers that be impose a moratorium to turn our ailing stocks around or there won't be anything left to throw our latest creations to.

I have been using a hollow pattern a lot this year- mostly because I am learning how to tie them better.  The color combo of white, chartreuse and purple has been very effective though.  Tying them from size 2 up to 6/0, long, short, sparse, heavy, flashy, in between.  I have also been using a lot of dubbing brushes this year.

2 hours ago, slip n slide said:

Lotta talk on the board this past year about new patterns ppl wanted to try,ie;shrimp,squid,large streamers,flies for night fishing,crabs,etc....

What did you tie up this winter that you're catching on now that's new in your box?

Or,is it the same old thing,year after year;clousers,Rays fly and deceivers?

I had the latest iteration of the squid pattern and a new sand eel I was looking to try but it wasn't in the winds to be out there this spring.

First spring in a loooong time where I didn't make a trip to the coast.It's a 14 hr drive to the Cape to catch mostly fish the size I can catch here at home.Hard to justify.Missing the salt,the smell of the ocean and it's attendant environs ,all my friends,the food etc....but it's the fish for which I travel. 

Lets hope the powers that be impose a moratorium to turn our ailing stocks around or there won't be anything left to throw our latest creations to.

5d010f7bce8f2_McKennaSpecial1.jpg.b710759a53848405503e27409eb7f178.jpg

This fly has caught all of the largest fish of the season.  It pushes tons of water and will throw a wake same size a herring when fished on top with floating line and mono leader.  Subsurface on a sinking line it has a darting action similar to a sluggo.  Its held up really well despite getting chewed own by larger fish.  The front hook is an Owner Aki 8/0 with a 65lb seven strand coated steel wire spine to the rear Gamakatsu 7/0 Octopus Hook.  The rear hook is offset and I did not both trying to straighten point.  I have been fishing it in estuaries in water 2-8 foot deep.  By changing the tail out to a different shape via clips you can change profile from a herring, to an eel, to a squid.

5d010f6a04f6b_SkinnerSpecialFlyPattern1.jpg.bbae8eb8ddb464baf9498b59d77d8415.jpg

I just started fishing this fly its a heavily weighted double rattle jig fly for fishing inlets.  I only use curly tails on this one and by changing size of curly tail it impacts the fall rate of jig so I can fine tune to glide just above the bottom without hanging up.  I am very happy with its performance and I think its going to yield my largest fish of the season now that I am transitioning to inlet fishing for the summer months.  Hook is a Owner 7/0 Saltwater Jig Hook.

Old hat for me, but others may want to try these if they're looking to go small. My son caught stripers on all three flies last night during a grass shrimp swarm. For perspective, the deer hair head fly is 1" long.

GrassShrimpClamWorm.jpeg.657663fea1df54c855086fa1849fd6f7.jpeg

Steve Culton

I haven't had much luck with my timing this year so I don't have anything from the salt landed yet but I have started tying segmented flies (2 hook) bait fish patterns which I had never tried before.  I needed something new because I was getting bored with the same patterns and these have been something fun to tie.  I tie them for pike as well just in different colors.

This is the largest squid to date,tied on a 9/0 hook.Had a particular inlet in mind for this where there is a high volume exchange of water big enough that it allows GW's to enter,saw a 15 footer there last fall and got my biggest bass there last year as well.

20190613_065655redsquid.jpg

20 hours ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

5d010f7bce8f2_McKennaSpecial1.jpg.b710759a53848405503e27409eb7f178.jpg

This fly has caught all of the largest fish of the season.  It pushes tons of water and will throw a wake same size a herring when fished on top with floating line and mono leader.  Subsurface on a sinking line it has a darting action similar to a sluggo.  Its held up really well despite getting chewed own by larger fish.  The front hook is an Owner Aki 8/0 with a 65lb seven strand coated steel wire spine to the rear Gamakatsu 7/0 Octopus Hook.  The rear hook is offset and I did not both trying to straighten point.  I have been fishing it in estuaries in water 2-8 foot deep.  By changing the tail out to a different shape via clips you can change profile from a herring, to an eel, to a squid.

5d010f6a04f6b_SkinnerSpecialFlyPattern1.jpg.bbae8eb8ddb464baf9498b59d77d8415.jpg

I just started fishing this fly its a heavily weighted double rattle jig fly for fishing inlets.  I only use curly tails on this one and by changing size of curly tail it impacts the fall rate of jig so I can fine tune to glide just above the bottom without hanging up.  I am very happy with its performance and I think its going to yield my largest fish of the season now that I am transitioning to inlet fishing for the summer months.  Hook is a Owner 7/0 Saltwater Jig Hook.

Cool stuff! How's the big one cast?

I'm a big fan of large/heavy jig hooks.

14 hours ago, The Fisherman said:

Old hat for me, but others may want to try these if they're looking to go small. My son caught stripers on all three flies last night during a grass shrimp swarm. For perspective, the deer hair head fly is 1" long.

Steve Culton

Nice! Too many ppl get caught up in the "realism" of tying grass shrimp patterns;most details are superflous.A lightly tied,impressionistic pattern such as you tie has caught the most fish for me as it has the right drift,instead of sinking too fast like the shrimp flies tied using UV or epoxy shellbacks.Yeah,they look good,but they just don't swim/drift right.I'll take a soft, impressionistic pattern any day over any hard-shelled pattern.

14 hours ago, The Fisherman said:

Steve Culton

Steve how do you fish those flies?  When grass shrimp go off around me I have poor luck even when I tried very small flies.  Only fish caught I chugged a popper and it managed to get 1-3 fish that were just overly aggressive.  Clearly not a winning approach on my end so interested in how you fish them.

I just finished "Stripers and Streamers" it was a great book thanks for the recommendation 

31 mins ago, slip n slide said:

Cool stuff! How's the big one cast?

I'm a big fan of large/heavy jig hooks.

The two hook fly cast well the long wire spin makes the turn over a bit awkward so have to keep loop a bit more open than normal.  It has no additional weight felt wire plus hooks was plenty for a fly I want to keep higher in water column.  

The Jig fly is fished on my 12WT with 500 grain sinking line.  Casting does require using open loops.  I can get 80-90' which is more distance than what I need normally.  For me more importantly I am getting down in zone that last year was taking long extended drifts.  My fly is in the strike zone fast and stays there longer.

The euro style tails are providing profile, vibration, and different actions for same fly.  Those are positives, but the air resistance impact on casting is a major negative.  If you take those tails off either fly they cast like bullets.  Putting tails on makes casting more difficult by at least 30%

3 mins ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

The two hook fly cast well the long wire spin makes the turn over a bit awkward so have to keep loop a bit more open than normal.  It has no additional weight felt wire plus hooks was plenty for a fly I want to keep higher in water column.  

The Jig fly is fished on my 12WT with 500 grain sinking line.  Casting does require using open loops.  I can get 80-90' which is more distance than what I need normally.  For me more importantly I am getting down in zone that last year was taking long extended drifts.  My fly is in the strike zone fast and stays there longer.

The euro style tails are providing profile, vibration, and different actions for same fly.  Those are positives, but the air resistance impact on casting is a major negative.  If you take those tails off either fly they cast like bullets.  Putting tails on makes casting more difficult by at least 30%

When I first started tying the squid it was hard to resist the plastic/rubber options available to represent the tentacles but I find the same as you ,that they kill the flies' castability.I opted for rabbit strips as they have the action most similar to plastic/rubber.

31 mins ago, slip n slide said:

When I first started tying the squid it was hard to resist the plastic/rubber options available to represent the tentacles but I find the same as you ,that they kill the flies' castability.I opted for rabbit strips as they have the action most similar to plastic/rubber.

My general obsession is getting something that creates the same "disturbance" of water as the forage I am trying to imitate. I really don't know much about how squid move in the water as I don't ever encounter them.  I think based on your comments I will make a natural material tail to use on that fly if I fish it in an area with squid instead of the euro attractor tails.

I spend a lot of time fishing herring runs.  The herring push very large wakes and at the back of the V you see what I call the "kick" area like when a swimmer is going full tilt or a "rooster tail" from an engine.  I found the commotion created by these tails is very unique and generates a similar disturbance like a baitfish's tail working to propel the fish.  So by using the correctly sized and tapered (1/2" head, 1" Mid body, 3/4" rear body) mesh body sections the fly forms a similar large V wake to the one that is created by the herring, but without the tails the "kick" portion of the wake is missing.  When herring swim the front 2/3 of their body don't really move at all.  Just the back 1/3 tail portion moves to propel them.  These attractor tails are the only thing I have found that moves appropriately to simulate that kick that works with a fly pattern.  

A lot of the time you are fishing is limited current so a swing presentation or a flat wing really does not work the way I fish.  I am getting most of the largest caliber of fish near high slack and on the incoming which does not produce a lot of currents.  When the tide shifts to the drop I will throw a fly that will move well on the swing instead of one that is focused on the action it creates on teh strip.  So this double hook fly was originally created for fishing on a strip retrieve in the limited current.  But what I found really surprising was I took it to an inlet and it tracked well and worked correctly moved like a "darter" plug so maybe it has more versatility than I though in the original design process.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Cool brace of shrimp. I occasionally use some patterns I tied to use in San Diego Bay  sz. 4-6  that imitate small crustaceans.  I like watching bobbers go under, reminds me of when I was a kid,  so occasionally if I feel big fish  aren't in the cards, I'll  fish a couple under a Thingamabobber or  two.   Since biologists have found  grass shrimp are the main forage in many estuaries, it's no surprise hook-ups are pretty regular. Great way to fish grass banks at high tides when wading is out of the question.  Find a little rip and maybe an undercut and it's game on.

I haven't tied any epoxy flies in quite awhile, so I tied some  epoxy sand eels to fish this weekend when I get tired of throwing the big stuff.  In the past they haven't outproduced a  sparse, long , clouser, but I'll give it a go.   It's strange that bass will dive down after a  sand eel as they  plunge into the sand to hide.  When they are dense, they form balls  like other bait and stripers eat them higher in the column.  Clousers have worked in the past as I let them  fall on the pauses, much like an escaping sand eel. Some fish inhaled them right off the bottom.  Can't wait until tomorrow night.  

Edited by bloosfisher

14 hours ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

Steve how do you fish those flies?  When grass shrimp go off around me I have poor luck even when I tried very small flies.  Only fish caught I chugged a popper and it managed to get 1-3 fish that were just overly aggressive.  Clearly not a winning approach on my end so interested in how you fish them.

I just finished "Stripers and Streamers" it was a great book thanks for the recommendation 

It depends on the place and conditions and where the bass are in relation to my position. Sometimes it's a simple dangle off a dock in the current, letting the flies wake on the surface. Sometimes it's a mended swing and dangle (Cam was doing this the other night and drew some strikes by raising and lowering the rod tip). Sometimes you need to fish them like a dry fly on a natural drag-free drift right in the feeding lane.

Glad you liked the book. Ray's a good guy.

Steve Culton

Edited by The Fisherman

1 hour ago, The Fisherman said:

It depends on the place and conditions and where the bass are in relation to my position. Sometimes it's a simple dangle off a dock in the current, letting the flies wake on the surface. Sometimes it's a mended swing and dangle (Cam was doing this the other night and drew some strikes by raising and lowering the rod tip). Sometimes you need to fish them like a dry fly on a natural drag-free drift right in the feeding lane.

Glad you liked the book. Ray's a good guy.

Steve Culton

Thats was very useful as I have tried none of those approaches.  May give my self a break from big flies and see if I can break my track record of failures fishing during grass shrimp activity.  Its going on right now in the estuary no better time to give it a shot

Its always good to try new things and getting snubbed by those bass bothers me.  Gonna give this a solid effort again.

Edited by The Graveyard Shift