Batman67

Knockoff Magic Swimmers

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

They are on ebay, do they work and swim properly. Im a long island,ny guy who fishes ALOT for striped bass. Making my first trip to the canal next month. Just trying to put together some plugs to use without breaking the bank. Any suggestions are welcome. So far I picked up a 3 1/2 oz. White guppy pencil, loaded a 6 inch mackerel cotton cordell with birdshot, superstrike 2 3/8 popper white, mackerel sp canal rigged, some 4oz bucktails, 2oz  mackerel magdarter and some big spooks for slack water. Not looking to jig 5oz al gags.

Just throw it all at them!

But I agree I've been hosed by knock off crap on eBay in the past but don't know about these fake swimmers you're referring to.

Check the WTS section for some used ones from others on here or make a post in WTB asking for genuine ones.

I have a website you can order he knock off swimmers and stick shads. They come with no rings or hooks . 3 for 29$ . Put good hooks and split rings and they preform rite up there with sebile

Do you wanna risk possibly  losing the fish of a lifetime because the hardware that holds the 3 sections together breaks?

i personally can’t stand exact knockoff copies of anything.......design theft sucks.

Loca Canal shops making knockoffs and they come in better canal colors.

I would say no difference than real, maybe better with VMC hooks and extra belly rings...(a canal thing for sure)

Price is reasonable...not eBay ' cheap'

IMO, the new Sebile stuff is not as nice as the old Sebile stuff. So with that in mind, look for auctions of new old stock on eBay. Now you got some great deals to be had! 

I just won 2 nine inch swimmers in the best natural shiner for $16 total.

I do need to change the hooks and arrangements as usual.

screengrab-20190612-060638.jpg

1 hour ago, ged said:

Knockoffs are a gateway to disappointment 

Exactly!  I've had ZERO luck with any of the knockoffs from local shops or online/ebay.  Swim like $h!t and break on decent fish.  If you search hard enough you'll find first generation originals.  Don't get caught up in color.  If there's the same "magic swimmer" bite that so many guys have been chasing for the past few season, color won't make a lick of difference.  If you're concerned with color, sand it down and spray paint it.

1 hour ago, ged said:

Knockoffs are a gateway to disappointment 

Not always! The knockoff Savage jig heads are far superior to the originals. They employ substantial hooks which are not prone to straightening or breaking.

I've used the Sebile Magic Swimmer and Stick Shad knockoffs and they seem to perform comparably to the originals, but I do more often than not carry the real ones. 

3 mins ago, snookster said:

Not always! The knockoff Savage jig heads are far superior to the originals. They employ substantial hooks which are not prone to straightening or breaking.

I've used the Sebile Magic Swimmer and Stick Shad knockoffs and they seem to perform comparably to the originals, but I do more often than not carry the real ones. 

Paddle tails and Joe Baggs jigheads for me. I don’t buy Savage. I know my jig hooks won’t fail.