TimBuktoo

1321M vs. 1201M

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

12 mins ago, Big Biscuit said:

The king of pop?;)  We'll just have to agree to disagree

I’m just messing around.  It does work a pencil well but boy after a good pencil session your shoulder can feel it!  

I appreciate all the responses!!! I think I’ll go with the 1201M I want something pretty versatile as it will be my only good surf rod for now... I might pick up something cheap

for now and have something custom built before the fall but that will give me time to really find out what I want... thanks guys!!

Have you given thought to a traditional guide lay out? Imo. The concept guide lay out do a disservice to the rod and the large spooled reels you'll likely be paring with the rod.  Many people disagree with me on this but I'm one of the few who simply cant stand concept guide layouts and feel they ruin the potential of a rod employing a larg spooled spinning reel. 

42 mins ago, DeepBlue85 said:

Have you given thought to a traditional guide lay out? Imo. The concept guide lay out do a disservice to the rod and the large spooled reels you'll likely be paring with the rod.  Many people disagree with me on this but I'm one of the few who simply cant stand concept guide layouts and feel they ruin the potential of a rod employing a larg spooled spinning reel. 

They both have their pros and cons, but the trend is concept.  Traditional is simple which can be good: simple build, simple repairs etc.

On 6/11/2019 at 7:31 PM, BrianBM said:

By [popular consensus (I don't own one; I own the somewhat stronger 120-1M) the 120-1L is as close to a do-it-all casting rod as there is. Call it an old standard. 

I have both the 1201L and 1201m, and have fished them back to back multiple times. 9 times outta 10 I go for the 1201L. I rarely throw anything over 2.75oz, but the 1201m feels like a broomstick compared to the 1201L. Pencil popping the 1201L is way easier unless you start throwing 3+ oz. But dont even. Other throwing anything u der 1.5oz with the 1201m imho, it's like throwing to throw a potato chip.

HOWEVER; my caveat to that is if I were fishing more boulders and deeper or faster current with large fish I'd absolutely grab the 1201m or even the 1321.

23 hours ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

I have both the 1201L and 1201m, and have fished them back to back multiple times. 9 times outta 10 I go for the 1201L. I rarely throw anything over 2.75oz, but the 1201m feels like a broomstick compared to the 1201L. Pencil popping the 1201L is way easier unless you start throwing 3+ oz. But dont even. Other throwing anything u der 1.5oz with the 1201m imho, it's like throwing to throw a potato chip.

HOWEVER; my caveat to that is if I were fishing more boulders and deeper or faster current with large fish I'd absolutely grab the 1201m or even the 1321.

Interesting .... my 120-1M is a conventional rod.  I'll take it down to the water's edge tomorrow, when done in the garden for the day, and see how well I like it with smaller stuff.  I suspect you're right; we will see. 

5 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Interesting .... my 120-1M is a conventional rod.  I'll take it down to the water's edge tomorrow, when done in the garden for the day, and see how well I like it with smaller stuff.  I suspect you're right; we will see. 

I have a 1201m. Not my first choice to fish bombers and other swimming plugs with but it will get the job done I suppose. I myself prefer a 1201L for smaller stuff with a foot cut off the butt

On 6/14/2019 at 8:46 PM, ThrowinPlugs said:

I think I agree with you, but I didn't really give it a fair test.

I haven't used my 120-1M for years. I put a Lexa 400 on it this morning, just as a change of pace, and a 5/8 oz Cotton Cordell pencil was barely possible. A large part of the problem was me.

After decades spreading line across a Newell 229 and 525 Mag, I can't stop. Notwithstanding the level wind, my fingers keep twiddling the line, darn it.  The butt section seems unreasonably short for me, now, but i thought it perfect when hopping around riprap and jetties with an eel.  And after fishing a Century Stealth 1327, the 120-1M feels anemic by comparison.  Go figger.