TimBuktoo

1321M vs. 1201M

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Newbie here wanting to get a new rod built fishing of beach/rocks casting light swimmers to heavier darters... will a 10 footer be easier for me to work? Pros and cons?

A rod builder once told me the 1201M “exists within” the 1321M. Similar rods, one it 120”, medium action, 1 piece. The other 132”, et cetera. You could post something in the rod builder forum for different answers. 

By [popular consensus (I don't own one; I own the somewhat stronger 120-1M) the 120-1L is as close to a do-it-all casting rod as there is. Call it an old standard. 

1201m is definitely the rod I want when looking for big fish in the rocks at night! Not very good for daytime/ pencil popping but it works..... it’s actually the only rod I have right now...... obviously works in the sand too but would much rather have the 1201L or something lighter...... need to cop one soon!

Posted (edited) · Report post

If your looking to cast smaller swimmers such as sp's then go with the 1201L.  The rod will present and handle small swimmers better with sensitivity you'll appreciate as well as the load on the cast.  The rod will also easily cast most darters in the 2 to 3 oz range and the parabolic softness will do a good job at keeping small treble hooks attached to the fish.  With that said a 1321m or 1201m will do all of that plus extra power to punch into wind and turn bigger fish in current or around structure.  Both these blanks are the same rod with the 1201L being a foot shorter, cut from the butt end.  Go custom if you can but it's all about what feel your looking to achieve these days because when it really comes down to it unless your hauling fish in current around bridge or rock structure, all the other details mean nothing beyond feel an preference. And that's why I own too many rods.....

Edited by DeepBlue85

I tend to favor my 1201m over my 11’... and I have no trouble pencil popping with it.  If you’re looking to go from let’s say using a small SP minnow and then switch to a 3oz darter. Go with the 1201M.   

11 hours ago, Aaron Barmmer said:

1201m is definitely the rod I want when looking for big fish in the rocks at night! Not very good for daytime/ pencil popping but it works..... it’s actually the only rod I have right now...... obviously works in the sand too but would much rather have the 1201L or something lighter...... need to cop one soon!

How the hell is 1201m not good for pencil popping? I love that rod for that application. It's so easy a caveman could do it. 

I cut about 4-5” off the butt of a 132-1m ( bought the blank stupid cheap with lil chip in the butt) and built it light .. sucker is nice .. throws sp and mag darters and 3/4oz bucks not bad at all ..  tosses the heavier stuff great , pencils great , fav rod for punching heavy bucks into stiff wind and huge surf .. it’s my do everything rod ....  if ya think ya gonna be tossing more lighter stuff go with an L .. if ya want a rod for bigger stuff and bigger surf/wind go with the M ... pick which suits your needs more .. 

The 1201M is essentially a 1321M with a foot cut from the bottom.  The blanks are similar.

The 1321M therefore will have some more power as the tube diameter is larger and pushed out farther from your handle.  It also tends to be able to throw lighter plugs/bt's better then the 1201M due to length and a mild taper it loads a little better with light lures.  And, you can keep the line out of the water a little bit more.  Those benefits cost you additional weight of a foot of tube and some extra running guides, thread, and epoxy.  All the weight is outboard of the handle so you are looking at swing weight and potentially more fatigue.

No right or wrong answer, really, just your preference.  I fish a 1201M when I will be throwing 1-5 ozs and a 1201L if I am not going over 3 oz. as the L will throw lighter offerings quite a bit better then the M's do.

10 hours ago, Big Biscuit said:

How the hell is 1201m not good for pencil popping? I love that rod for that application. It's so easy a caveman could do it. 

I disagree. I’m the pencil pop king of the surf 

26 mins ago, Aaron Barmmer said:

I disagree. I’m the pencil pop king of the surf 

Pencils in the 3 - 3.5oz shines on the 1201M. It's my canal popping stick.