Fox

Catching any Snook from the Jupiter Beach?

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

What Tcaz says -- Trey & Todd at Juno Bait & Tackle are great. Was there this AM... mostly snook on beach now on that 1st trough 8-12 ft out.

If you fly fish now is the the time to try (depending on the day) for snook on the beach. Forget flies in winter between the wind, surf & weed.

Heading back Monday to CT -- have to finish up our new digs in Palm Beach Gardens so we can move down in August.

4 hours ago, pjl1981 said:

I'm coming down this weekend (i live in Jacksonville), but staying in Boca Raton to mix things up a little bit. I usually go down to the Jupiter/West Palm area to surf fish and go to the pier. I'll definitely be at the Juno pier at some point, just not sure when. I just wanted to do something different and check out the Deerfield/Pompano/Ft. Lauderdale area, not to familiar with that area.

Good luck to you, hope you have a great time. 

41 mins ago, gman1253 said:

What Tcaz says -- Trey & Todd at Juno Bait & Tackle are great. Was there this AM... mostly snook on beach now on that 1st trough 8-12 ft out.

If you fly fish now is the the time to try (depending on the day) for snook on the beach. Forget flies in winter between the wind, surf & weed.

Heading back Monday to CT -- have to finish up our new digs in Palm Beach Gardens so we can move down in August.

So you will be here for the mullet run....

Fished Jupiter Beach for two early mornings and one late afternoon with no luck. Haven't seen any others catching Snook either? Using lures, almost tempted to try my luck at live bait?  

I was at Deerfield and Juno pier this weekend, no luck either. The water was crystal clear and you could see the snook everywhere, they just weren't interested. I tried live bait, cut bait, and lures, and they barely gave a glance to anything i tried. The one thing i'm learning is that they are really finnicky, especially in the middle of the day. Seems like they only fire up at dawn/dusk.

13 mins ago, pjl1981 said:

I was at Deerfield and Juno pier this weekend, no luck either. The water was crystal clear and you could see the snook everywhere, they just weren't interested. I tried live bait, cut bait, and lures, and they barely gave a glance to anything i tried. The one thing i'm learning is that they are really finnicky, especially in the middle of the day. Seems like they only fire up at dawn/dusk.

middle of the day alway tough. I rarely fish this time after official sunrise unless there is heavy cloud cover obscuring the sun. 

one note, if you can see them, now close are you to them? snook, in clear water conditions with little wave action can see a human standing on the water's edge. whether you, the next angler down the beach, the neighborhood bather, the shell collectors or the lab frolicking, all that activity can turn those fish off in a minute. they may have lockjaw because humans are about.

the slot creates more catch & release fishing than would be the case since snook are so good on the table. as a result, all of those younger fish who are C&R become smarter over time. and with that "education" comes a cautious approach to life and eating. everyone uses the same lures, within a range, and they become wary of those. live bait, encumbered by hooks, floats and/or heavy leader are looked at with suspicion. 

at dawn and dusk, they are a bit less cautious, partly due to lower light conditions making it more challenging for them to see. also, at first and last light, those "distractions" are less of an issue as most less experienced anglers are not there, swimmers and dog walkers are gone, etc. 

my advice, and I am not a sharpie, go early and late. find more secluded beaches. move around as much as you can. stand back from the water's edge and cast at angles to the beach as well as straight out and back. if you have any of those "distractions" nearby, try to avoid them, walk around them, etc. 

also, lighten up on tippet or leader and consider flouro in gin clear water. yes, a risk for snook but if they are leader shy, better the hook up and get cut off by gill plate than to not hook up at all (except when your Rapala shad runs $10 each). 

also, consider smaller baits. if the naturals are silversides or similar slim forage, and you are throwing a 4" Spooltek, that is not matching the hatch. If fly fishing, try a crab pattern. 

good luck

20 mins ago, tomkaz said:

middle of the day alway tough. I rarely fish this time after official sunrise unless there is heavy cloud cover obscuring the sun. 

one note, if you can see them, now close are you to them? snook, in clear water conditions with little wave action can see a human standing on the water's edge. whether you, the next angler down the beach, the neighborhood bather, the shell collectors or the lab frolicking, all that activity can turn those fish off in a minute. they may have lockjaw because humans are about.

the slot creates more catch & release fishing than would be the case since snook are so good on the table. as a result, all of those younger fish who are C&R become smarter over time. and with that "education" comes a cautious approach to life and eating. everyone uses the same lures, within a range, and they become wary of those. live bait, encumbered by hooks, floats and/or heavy leader are looked at with suspicion. 

at dawn and dusk, they are a bit less cautious, partly due to lower light conditions making it more challenging for them to see. also, at first and last light, those "distractions" are less of an issue as most less experienced anglers are not there, swimmers and dog walkers are gone, etc. 

my advice, and I am not a sharpie, go early and late. find more secluded beaches. move around as much as you can. stand back from the water's edge and cast at angles to the beach as well as straight out and back. if you have any of those "distractions" nearby, try to avoid them, walk around them, etc. 

also, lighten up on tippet or leader and consider flouro in gin clear water. yes, a risk for snook but if they are leader shy, better the hook up and get cut off by gill plate than to not hook up at all (except when your Rapala shad runs $10 each). 

also, consider smaller baits. if the naturals are silversides or similar slim forage, and you are throwing a 4" Spooltek, that is not matching the hatch. If fly fishing, try a crab pattern. 

good luck

A guy next to me caught 2 snook at Juno, it was his first time there. He came down from Daytona and brought his own live bait, croakers and pinfish. While everyone else was using pilchards, mojarra, and blue runners, (the bait that was around the pier) and not having any luck. We wondered if offering them a bait that wasn't around made them stand out and get a bite. Certainly interesting, i always wondered why they would pick my pilchard out of the thousands that are swimming around.

Started out using the smaller live target croaker, Vudu mullet, zoom flukes, all the way down to a glass minnow soft bait. The early mornings I was there on the beach at 6am, and like you say the water is very clear. Stopped in and talked to Todd this morning, he hasn't heard any good reports about Snook, even at night. He thought with the heat we have been having would really warm the water and get them turned on???