Jay13

Leader for blues and Spanish

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

I will be going to a Carolina pier to try for blues and Spanish. Does anyone know which is best between a mono leader and flouro leader? How heavy does the leader have to be so they won’t bite the lure off? Any info would be appreciated.

You’re really better off with wire, but if you’re convinced you want to use mono, I’d go with 60 or even 80lb. A 6-inch length tied to the end of your leader will be fine. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I never use wire for blues...ever.  no issues except once when I had to super slow fish poppers way back when.  not sure about Latinos.  Bait or small rubber, probably wire.  

Edited by quack

Posted (edited) · Report post

My theory on Spanish bite offs is that it isn’t  necissarly  the  hooked fish that bites you off it is other fish attacking the lure at the same time.

Feeding frenzy....

They will also bite the tiniest swivel and even an fg knot.

Edited by olvart

41 mins ago, olvart said:

My theory on Spanish bite offs is that it isn’t  necissarly  the  hooked fish that bites you off it is other fish attacking the lure at the same time.

Feeding frenzy....

Interesting. That's news to me

I started using 80lb mono leaders for blues 3 years ago when I was in a situation where they wouldn't touch anything on wire. I haven't lost a plug yet. I even caught 5 monster blues on the fly on the same leader one day just to see how much punishment it would take. 

monoleader.jpg

Any where from 30 to 50 pound flouro should do. Spanish are notoriously leader shy.

When going for spanish I can't say it enough. Gotcha plug gotcha plug gotcha plug

13 hours ago, olvart said:

Feeding frenzy....

Can confirm. I've also had them bite through wire in crazy blitz situations.

9 hours ago, Badtothebugs said:

Any where from 30 to 50 pound flouro should do. Spanish are notoriously leader shy.

When going for spanish I can't say it enough. Gotcha plug gotcha plug gotcha plug

Well said.It is rare on a Carolina pier to find a in the know fishermen with a wire leader for plugging. I used to fish 30 lb mono for years with good results. I now fish 50 lb flouro carbon for all Gotcha plugging and spoon pier casting. You will still get bit off once in a while but not enough to go to 80 lb. IMHO. Watch how the locals fish a Gotcha and copy it. It's hard work but deadly way to catch them.

21 mins ago, chris koltz said:

Well said.It is rare on a Carolina pier to find a in the know fishermen with a wire leader for plugging. I used to fish 30 lb mono for years with good results. I now fish 50 lb flouro carbon for all Gotcha plugging and spoon pier casting. You will still get bit off once in a while but not enough to go to 80 lb. IMHO. Watch how the locals fish a Gotcha and copy it. It's hard work but deadly way to catch them.

I'm located in the florida panhandle and when the water is very clear fishing wire just doesn't cut it.  I like the gotcha because you can fish it in any area of the water column until you key in on where they are feeding. Sometimes it slow bottom bumping and sometimes its ripping it right under the surface.  Blues seem to like it a little slower in my experience

I use 50 lb mono for both. Spanish Mackerel are wire shy but seem to be OK with mono (vs fluorocarbon.) people here say no large spoons for Mackerel, they go for smaller profiles, but  I’ve  culled  bigger ones on 3oz gator spoons. They do hit swivels. & you will get cut off, just happens when they’re feeding aggressively. Gotchas, silver spoons, small white bucktails, spooks and small poppers on occasion all work.