Charlestown

Travel - Sitka Alaska

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I know this is the MA forum but I am wondering if anyone from New England on this forum has made the trip to southeast Alaska? I am heading that way in a month and interested in hearing your experiences. 

you are going early july?

we went in june for salmon (multiple species) and halibut.

great fishing, we had great weather too (and nice long days so LOTS of time to fish and explore).

fishing trip in particular? guide? lodge?

only place we’ve got bigger halibut is northern norway but we got noticeably more by numbers in alaska and way more salmon than any other trip.

The fishing is typically better than the lower 48.  As a shorebound angler, I caught lots of dolly vardens and saw lots of bears. Sitka has really good halibut fishing. 

I spent a month up in prince Williams sound for work in June 2004ish.  The halibut fishing was great, but don’t overlook other bottom dwellers.  Yellow eye rockfish, tiger rockfish and a handful of others are fun and will keep you busy between halibut bites.  I mostly just bounced 3-6 oz jigs, but bait (frozen herring) worked equally well.  I saw a few halibut caught by others that were ~ 200lbs, but my best few were around 125-150lbs.  The best fish in my opinion were in the 80 lb class.  They pulled hard but were easy to release.