icarussound

First responders to 9/11 act

Rate this topic

180 posts in this topic

I'm okay with a few bad seeds taking advantage of the system if it means the many men and women who risked their lives to save others are taken care of for the rest of their lives. The government spends a simply outrageous amount of money on "national defense", but can't support the ones who actually provide that defense? 

A lot of people here seem to have never dealt with an insurance company for a severe, long-term, illness. Even some "good" insurance plans will do their best to make you choose between life or your life savings.  I thought there would at least be some bipartisan agreement in this thread, but some people quite simply don't give a **** about others. 

Many of the 9/11 victims got compensated through a fund , it was decided it was deserved for their family's.

how can you not offer something similar to the people who did their duty and responded and worked the site , many of which are now critically

ill ? It shouldnt be all that hard to figure out , lung issues and cancers in the same areas of the body.

Because there will be some inevitable fraud no one should be helped ?  The clock is ticking, do the right thing.

If we can give people who wander in to this country privileges that in many cases include free medical care,

shouldn't hard working citizens of this country  who played by the rules and did what was expected of them be treated better ? 

Why isn't New York City taking care of these people?  New York State is perhaps the highest tax state in the country.  What are they spending on that they can't take care of their heroes?

1 hour ago, eddy said:

it passed the House............Judiciary........Committee

Judiciary?

really?

uh ok

Not sure what your point is.  Can you elaborate?

11 mins ago, Stonesipher said:

I criticized Rump not blaimed him Big difference 

You wrongly criticized him. 

True story

1 hour ago, C.Robin said:

I'm okay with a few bad seeds taking advantage of the system if it means the many men and women who risked their lives to save others are taken care of for the rest of their lives. The government spends a simply outrageous amount of money on "national defense", but can't support the ones who actually provide that defense? 

A lot of people here seem to have never dealt with an insurance company for a severe, long-term, illness. Even some "good" insurance plans will do their best to make you choose between life or your life savings.  I thought there would at least be some bipartisan agreement in this thread, but some people quite simply don't give a **** about others. 

One of the issues here is that this fund is not just dedicated to first responders.  If you were an accountant working in the "NYC Exposure Zone" between 9/11 and May 2002, you could make a claim against the fund... and some do.  

The other issue is the time line.  Funding through 2090?  There will be no 9/11 first responders alive in 2090... none... so what is that date intending to cover?

"The NYC Exposure Zone is defined as the area in Manhattan south of the line that runs along Canal Street from the Hudson River to the intersection of Canal Street and East Broadway, north on East Broadway to Clinton Street, and east on Clinton Street to the East River; and any area related to or along the routes of debris removal, such as barges and Fresh Kills landfill."

9 hours ago, icarussound said:

Not sure what your point is.  Can you elaborate?

what does the house judiciary committee have to do with the James Zadroga Act?

9 hours ago, Nessmuk said:

Why isn't New York City taking care of these people?  New York State is perhaps the highest tax state in the country.  What are they spending on that they can't take care of their heroes?

because leftists love to spend everyone else's money.

Look how poorly veterans are treated.

Why should we expect the first responders to be treated any differently?

Government fails again, federal, state, local, doesn't matter. 

10 mins ago, dena said:

Yep

Government does not have feelings.

Government does not care about you.

Live your life accordingly. 

17 mins ago, dena said:

That is true, but let's be honest, and I can be because I was one of them...  All of us who do this work, military, first responders, whatever...we take these jobs knowing the score from the get go.  We know our health care, we know our benefits, we know our compensation, and we accept we can be injured or killed.    We know  all of this and accept the conditions before we start day one.

16 hours ago, fish'nmagician said:

SiM makes a posts which was highly partisan in that it dishonestly implies it's the Dems holding this up,

Um, no I DIDN"T. Your brainwashed mind decided to interpret it that way.