NCRed44

Van Staal VR50 real world line capacity

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

360 yds. of PP Original 20#. Roughly half of a 500 yd. spool. I don't have a counter but it's pretty darn close to advertised. 

Ghost did you just use enough mono underneath to cover the spool?   I spool alot of my reels

that way. IT gives the braid something to bite into and it's not as messy as tape. 

I had the line put on at the tackle shop, I asked for an underlayment of mono but was not really paying attention to the installer.

When I put it on I cover the spool with about two layers of mono. 

On the VR50 I use self-fusing silicon tape on the spool and don't bother with mono. It has no adhesive and provides more grip than electrical tape. For the larger VR150 I use mono backing up to about the drainage holes.

On both reels I lay on an even base with a power drill then reel the rest on under tension. The VR's don't have the best line lay so the base helps...

On 6/11/2019 at 2:46 PM, NCRed44 said:

What is the Van Staal VR50 real world line capacity?  Please post line type,weight,and yardage you

got on your reel when spooled.  

I just had one spooled in a shop with blue power pro slick 8 V2. It held exactly 250 yards of 30lbs test PP V2 Slick 8