bigfish4me

In ground pool resurfacing

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Anyone had it done? Gonna get a few quotes and pull the trigger on it, been reading up on different materials and would welcome any intel.... pool is roughly 16’x30’ and goes from 3’ to 8’ .

I just had our gunite pool resurfaced this season. Original finish was 15 years old. We went with Diamond Brite brand plaster. Midnight blue color. Replaced the tile too. I got a couple quotes. It was an expensive proposition to say the least. very happy with the end result. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Cheaper to just fill it in and buy a "48 above ground pool. :v:

Edited by fjr419

We had tile issues every spring so we replaced the tile. That part of the job was  completed first. Then water was drained from the pool. Next the crew came and pneumatic chiseled around all the fittings to allow for a deeper bond. After cleaning up debris from the tile and chiseling they acid washed the whole pool to remove all the old plaster. We had to wait for the weather to cooperate and then it was applying the diamond brite plaster. ( I came home when they were almost complete and freaked out. The color looked nothing like the midnight blue the wife had picked out. After a week of curing it darkened though.) Water trucks were on standby and refilled the pool as soon they got word from the plaster guys.

IMG_1686.JPG

IMG_1687.JPG

IMG_1688.JPG

IMG_1689.JPG

I stopped at the pool store on the way home today and inquired about re-tileing  and re-plastering the pool.  5K for the tile and 5-8K for plaster.... 12 to 15  is what he figures......  That's a lot of coin.

He was here last week and looked at fixing some tile that popped.   He said I should be ok for a couple of years.   After that it may become a frog pond or a concrete patio.

:idea: Maybe I'll fill it in and put in a fire pit and hot tub spa...

25 mins ago, DMacLeod said:

I stopped at the pool store on the way home today and inquired about re-tileing  and re-plastering the pool.  5K for the tile and 5-8K for plaster.... 12 to 15  is what he figures......  That's a lot of coin.

He was here last week and looked at fixing some tile that popped.   He said I should be ok for a couple of years.   After that it may become a frog pond or a concrete patio.

:idea: Maybe I'll fill it in and put in a fire pit and hot tub spa...

I’m figuring on the same....12-15, I can live with that.... removing and filling it in will cost 12 k..... I’d rather fix it right and enjoy it for the same money.

19 hours ago, bridgerat said:

We had tile issues every spring so we replaced the tile. That part of the job was  completed first. Then water was drained from the pool. Next the crew came and pneumatic chiseled around all the fittings to allow for a deeper bond. After cleaning up debris from the tile and chiseling they acid washed the whole pool to remove all the old plaster. We had to wait for the weather to cooperate and then it was applying the diamond brite plaster. ( I came home when they were almost complete and freaked out. The color looked nothing like the midnight blue the wife had picked out. After a week of curing it darkened though.) Water trucks were on standby and refilled the pool as soon they got word from the plaster guys.

IMG_1686.JPG

IMG_1687.JPG

IMG_1688.JPG

IMG_1689.JPG

If you don't mind me asking...  My folks sold their Mass home in 2015.  The sale was painless but around 9:30am of the closing day, the future owners called begging for a favor.  Somehow their insurance company (who they had done business with for years) "ordered" the dive board removed or they would not insure the property.  Not for a higher rate, not for a softer bed...they simply would not insure it.  They also wanted a photo and receipt from a licensed contractor indicating the work was completed.  I drove over and took care of it but more to the point...  Does that single dive board hammer you on insurance or is it of no concern to your carrier?

I was gonna ask Red to do it but I hear his OT rates are ludicrous...

Thanks out of curiosity...

20 hours ago, bridgerat said:

IMG_1686.JPG

IMG_1687.JPG

IMG_1688.JPG

IMG_1689.JPG

Very nice. The backyard looks great  !

3 hours ago, mako20ft said:

If you don't mind me asking...  My folks sold their Mass home in 2015.  The sale was painless but around 9:30am of the closing day, the future owners called begging for a favor.  Somehow their insurance company (who they had done business with for years) "ordered" the dive board removed or they would not insure the property.  Not for a higher rate, not for a softer bed...they simply would not insure it.  They also wanted a photo and receipt from a licensed contractor indicating the work was completed.  I drove over and took care of it but more to the point...  Does that single dive board hammer you on insurance or is it of no concern to your carrier?

I was gonna ask Red to do it but I hear his OT rates are ludicrous...

Thanks out of curiosity...

Diving board has not been an insurance issue for me. But I’m in NY so everything is expensive ;)

2 hours ago, PCstriper said:

Very nice. The backyard looks great  !

Thanks.

The family loves the pool.

I love fishing the pond with my 5 wt.