hookmeup

Any intel about Bounty hunter charters Yarmouth, MA

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

This isn't the boat with Capt. Bill, the crying lady and the "Mad" mate.....is it.

When he harpooned the line after hours of battling a Giant Blue Fin.....she cried and the mate had a mental collapse...I LMAO....priceless.....I'd pay to see that show again.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

Couple spots opened up, wondering if the trip would be worthwhile. 2 Benjy’s Plus change. 

Whats the boat’s rep? Anything I should know? Does he try hard to get people on fish? How about the crew? Haven’t seen much on the inter webs. 

Which boat? Eric has several these days. If you're talking Nantucket fluke I don't know who is running that boat, but it does have a good reputation. No one I know who has fished that trip has had anything bad today about it. And I know a lot of guys that have fished that boat.

I've fished the Bounty Hunter 3 times in the last 2 years including this past weekend(2 trips). Eric was captain last year, this past weekend he had another captain running the boat. Jeff was a really nice guy, worked hard and we had 2 decent trips(not as good as last year). For sure can't say that was because it was a different captain of course. Eric is working a lot on his new boat this year, but according to Jeff will be running some of the Shoals charters this week. I would assume it may be a coin flip whos running the boat at this point. But if you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me.

I was on the Bounty Hunter for the first time on 6/26 and 6/27. I did not meet Eric, but Jeff ran our trip and was an excellent Captain/Mate. He's old school too which I like a lot. We had 4 DDs between both days and a ton of 5-8 lb fish with a few 9s. I would definitely go back again, in fact I am in August. The boat has plenty of fishing room. I just wish it was faster, but other then that I have no complaints at all.

TLDR: Good trip. limit, largest 9.5 #, my PB 8.5#. 

A couple of us felt that we lost monsters...

Details:

Fished Bounty Hunter Charters (35’ down east boat, Reaction) out of South Yarmouth with Jeff on 7/21. Hop on 6-pack (got lucky). One of the fares is a party boat captain from NY state who was sick of catching porgies. 

Hot as hell at the dock. Weather was forecast for 10-15 predominantly west  south west increasing in the late afternoon with 3-5’ waves.  No rain in the forecast. There was some overcast early and fog. Moon was about a week past full. 

Left the dock at 4 am and steamed about 3 hours on a nice easy ride. Boat had two bean bags, a side bench and a berth with two beds. 

First drop, no bites. 6-8 oz chicken rigs holding easy, too fast to jig 3 oz or less. All day was drifting. No power drifting. 

Second, third, fourth picked away. Bites were savage but few and far between, overall lethargic.  This pattern continued until slack around 9-10. 

After the tide changed, bites were soft, probing bites. More hangers and less swallowers. Had to let them chew. 

Moved several times. Switched to spoons, Bam. I got a limit in 3 drifts. Interesting because I tried the spoon early and got nothing. We stayed an hour longer to fill the box. Average fish about 6-7#. Nothing under 24” was kept. 

Rigging:

Most fish on pink chicken rigs, pink shine or white. 6-8 oz held easy. White meat to accentuate profiles. 

Spoons (I used them). 

Some action on 5-6 oz bucktails. 

No rigs lost. 

I estimate about 50% fish caught on chicken rig, 35% bucktail/teaser, 15% spoon. 

Some of the teasers looked fancy (Tsunami glass minnows, Mylar flash) others were the old tried and true rubber squids. 

Gulp: 

Pink shine and white 6” grubs 

A few caught on 6” chartreuse, new penny, and nuclear chicken, 4” new penny shrimp

No action on: salmon, blue fuze, fire tiger. 

Rods:

Black demon/Tranx401AHG 20# 832

Teramar MH/Lexa300XSL 20# 832

A few doggies, sea robins, and blues. All on meat. One clear nose skate. 

Jeff, the captain, put us on fish, but the bite was tough. We didn’t implement his backup plan so the trip wasn’t terrible from his POV. He gave us more fishing time and was enthusiastic. He made some astute suggestions. Did a nice job with the filets as well. I can recommend him. 

Side lites:

Whale breaching about a mile away

Jimmy “the Greek” stopped by for a chat. Only saw one other boat (Helen H)

I learned that very large bait profiles on spoons can make a difference.

Overall it turned into a good day but it could have sucked for me. For a long part of the day I wondered if it was even worth the trip. The last hour flurry showed me what it could be like when it’s good. 

I guess they they are booked thru October, and they have an unofficial social media blackout. Don’t expect to see much on FB except the ads for the party boat. If you get lucky and see an open spot, it definitely beats a porgy trip or crappy rig-losing Jersey trip. 

Edited by hookmeup
Add more detail