Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nowildwood

Slammer 460 line lay problem

9 posts in this topic

I recently bought a new Slammer 460 on eBay from a tackle shop in Australia. About $80 shipped to dirty Jerz. Line lay is all bunched up at the bottom of the spool. I switched out parts from an old Slammer 460 and nothing worked; eccentric, eccentric gear, shaft etc. If I put the new spool on my old reel line lay is perfect. What else can I try? Thanks 

51D0B616-C44E-4C46-A74D-EF863064453F.jpeg

I stripped the line off, reassembled the reel, put new line on. Same problem. It beat me and I surrender. I’m going to mail it in for service. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Whomever from Penn that responded gave me a clue to what the problem was. The spool was obviously sitting up too high. I had switched all the internals and nothing changed. I finally switched the rotor after the Penn guy gave me the clue. That solved my problem. I'm going to order part 27-4600 from Mystic today. I should have it tomorrow. Thanks.

Edited by nowildwood

For those of you that have been following this, the new rotor showed up at noon. The rotor wasn't my problem. Turns out that apparently the bail arm for a 260/360 (part#034-260) was put on at the factory by mistake. I'll order part 034-5600 now. This has been a humbling experience and a lesson learned. Still love the Penn's though.

Doesn’t look like much but makes a big difference. All the roller parts and bail screws are the same for 260,360,460 and 560. Height of the bail arm is the only difference. 

54826026-6828-4825-9746-BCA36862A3FC.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

15 hours ago, nowildwood said:

Doesn’t look like much but makes a big difference. All the roller parts and bail screws are the same for 260,360,460 and 560. Height of the bail arm is the only difference. 

54826026-6828-4825-9746-BCA36862A3FC.jpeg

Good detective work. Love my 260 360, the 460 is next

Edited by richie c

Richie,   Penn still sells the Slammer 2’s  in Australia and lists them along with the Slammer 3’s on their Australia website. These things are are a bargain at less than $80 a pop. Takes 7 to 10 days for delivery. I bought several Penn reels from tackle shops in AU off Flea bay. Only thing is for the warranty you need to return it to AU. The slammers are easy to work on yourself and Mystic has all the parts you need so the warranty doesn’t mean much to me.