FlukUlele

Let's talk practice...

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

On 6/12/2019 at 7:34 AM, vanburenboys said:

Not to hijack the thread, but as someone still pretty new to fly fishing I was wondering if you guys practice with or without a fly. Practicing without a fly on feels different to me (maybe it's just in my head), and I have been thinking of tying on a beat up clouser I have with the hook cut off so it doesn't get caught on the grass.

I cut the bend and tip off the fly. A little less weight but realistic air resistance. I use yellow or another bright color.

19 hours ago, codyjorge said:

Oh nice! I'm in the Fairfax area right by The Grove, if you know where that is. And my in-law's are in Huntington Harbor so I fish that area often. We must know some of the same guys... You fish locally much? 

sounds like we may be on the same wave length.  We should meet up and corbina fish as they are eating now.  Shoot me a text  347 - two five one -3566 . my name is kerry

3 hours ago, JoeGBreezy said:

I cut the bend and tip off the fly. A little less weight but realistic air resistance. I use yellow or another bright color.

Another tip...check your knot periodically.  When I was practicing a lot (to the tune of 300+ casts per session and over 2,000 per week...one season I logged into a spreadsheet over 70,000 casts...and yeah, I wore out a few fly lines, that was the season I was finally able to cast 45 ft consistently...) the knot would eventually weaken and break and the fly would come off during the cast...even though I was using chartreuse colored practice fly, in a sea of grass it was sometimes a nightmare to find.  Way easier to just re-tie once in a while than search for a fly. 

1 hour ago, formula1 said:

(to the tune of 300+ casts per session and over 2,000 per week...one season I logged into a spreadsheet over 70,000 casts...and yeah, I wore out a few fly lines, that was the season I was finally able to cast 45 ft consistently...)

My elbow hurts just reading this. 

5 hours ago, formula1 said:

... that was the season I was finally able to cast 45 ft consistently...)

Okay, I'll bite F1. You are "playing" with our heads, right? :D I KNOW you can easily cast double that without even thinking about it. You don't catch tarpon with a 45' cast.

Cheers,

Graeme

16 mins ago, Hirdy said:

Okay, I'll bite F1. You are "playing" with our heads, right? :D I KNOW you can easily cast double that without even thinking about it. You don't catch tarpon with a 45' cast.

Cheers,

Graeme

LOL yes I'm just playing around, I was playing off of cpalms comment.  I can definitely cast a bit further than 45'...

1 min ago, formula1 said:

LOL yes I'm just playing around, I was playing off of cpalms comment.  I can definitely cast a bit further than 45'...

I was starting to wonder what I had gotten myself into by into! 

Thanks for all the tips. Time to get out there and get started on my 70k casts. 

Oh, okay, carry on F1.

I don't think he noticed: Maybe it sounded about right to him? Sorry for blowing the gig ;)

Cheers,

Graeme

13 hours ago, Hirdy said:

And international.

Cheers,

Graeme

Oh how very American of me to think “universal” means between the East and West Coasts. LOL. 

You're forgiven. It's an American site focusing on American fish so it's completely understandable. :) 

I clip the bend off old Clousers so I can use them for casting practice. Casting with fluff on a lawn isn’t that realistic.

I also measure out targets at fixed distances to improve my range estimation and accuracy rather than blast out long casts. 

Then I shift position so I’m casting into the wind as well as cross wind.

Anymore than an hour and I tend to lose focus.

14 hours ago, formula1 said:

downwind i'm 50' all day

37 mins ago, Cpalms said:

downwind i'm 50' all day

Just FYI I reported this post as being offensive. How dare you cast further than me, even wind assisted? The moderators will be knocking on your door very shortly to have words with you.