EricDice

Otter tails - straight or curly tails, other tips

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I have the chartreuse straight tails but considering picking up the shorter curly tail version. 

What are your preferences and do you have any other tips?

I bought a few sets of long curly tails and don't love them. Too often when I retrieve the bucktail out of the water, the tail is caught up in the hook and just looks like a blob of gum. Straight is now the only type I use. Haven't tried the short curly yet but given my experience so far, I won't be trying them.

From my personal experience I have found that each trailer has a specific set of conditions where they excel!

Experiment with trimming and cutting the different trailers to get the action that youre looking for.

I prefer the straight tails by otter or fat cow brands. I’ll split them on the tail or split them in half to offer a smaller presentation. I never used chartreuse but have done really well with white or red on white bucktails. 

I’ve used the short curly tails. Don’t love them - mostly because I didn’t catch as many fish on them as the straight tails. Not sure if it had anything to do with the curly tail but nevertheless, I don’t feel confident using them. I like the straight short, straight long and split tails. Almost exclusively in white.

1 min ago, JL11 said:

I’ve used the short curly tails. Don’t love them - mostly because I didn’t catch as many fish on them as the straight tails. Not sure if it had anything to do with the curly tail but nevertheless, I don’t feel confident using them. I like the straight short, straight long and split tails. Almost exclusively in white.

Mind sharing what kind of structure you are generally bucktailing? How do you like to work your bucktail?

I have found that the curly tails have a specific application.

@DragonsLax48   Most often I surfcast beach fronts & ocean inlets. Working the bucktail low and slow. Interested to hear where you’ve found success with they curlys. Maybe I didn’t give them enough of a shot.

5 mins ago, JL11 said:

@DragonsLax48   Most often I surfcast beach fronts & ocean inlets. Working the bucktail low and slow. Interested to hear where you’ve found success with they curlys. Maybe I didn’t give them enough of a shot.

I've found the most success with curly otter tail styles in sweeping situations when rain bait is around. I will trim accordingly to mimic the size of the rain bait or anchovie.

I dont like the curly tails around inlets or heavy water. I have however modified them to work in these situations. I keep a razor blade in my truck when i need to make changes to my trailers. in a pinch ill use my line snips.

A curly tail grub is not the same as a curly otter tail.

Play around with the trailers when the bites hot and see if one is more effective than another and youll be pleasently surprised.

When the bite is painfully slow, trim up the trailers for a more finesse presentation

4 hours ago, nycstripers16 said:

I bought a few sets of long curly tails and don't love them. Too often when I retrieve the bucktail out of the water, the tail is caught up in the hook and just looks like a blob of gum. Straight is now the only type I use. Haven't tried the short curly yet but given my experience so far, I won't be trying them.

Try the short curlytails for casting bucktails. Trust me they work!

The long tails are fantastic as a trailer on a trolling tube! Forget tipping them with a sandworm!

All of Bruce’s baits are fantastic options for fluking, porgies, and sea bass. No more having to rebait your rigs after every drop. 

A bit off topic, but does anyone know if otter tails will stain one another? I am considering mixing red and white strips together in one container but I'm just hoping it doesn't end up like laundry...

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:48 AM, TinyTrout said:

A bit off topic, but does anyone know if otter tails will stain one another? I am considering mixing red and white strips together in one container but I'm just hoping it doesn't end up like laundry...

I've kept all red Fat cow strips on white bucktails for several days/nights and there were no red stains on the bucktail if that helps.