MCL169

My first conventional reel

Rate this topic

135 posts in this topic

Go on Youtube and search for tear down of your reel.  You will find some for sure that’s posted taking your reel apart piece by piece.  There is a wealth of information on youtube.  You should get used to using it.

22 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

Dunno how it happened but you do need to be more careful with conventional reels.  There is no way to seal them.  Even rinsing them in the surf can get them full of sand.  Don’t drop them on the sand and don’t dunk them.  That’s all you can do really.

oh yeah,for sure.

I only fish rivers now,for years I did the beaches but,found more fish in them than there so,I gave up on it.

HH

Out of curiosity anybody have a suggestion on a good surf fishing conventional reel that's good with sand? I tend to combine time at the beach with fishing. 

1 hour ago, MCL169 said:

Out of curiosity anybody have a suggestion on a good surf fishing conventional reel that's good with sand? I tend to combine time at the beach with fishing. 

I would pick up an old Penn Squidder or  Beachmaster on eBay . You can get relatively cheap, looser tolerances for sand issues and parts prob still available.  There’s a guy on Youtube his channel is “Fishing your way” or something similar. He’s out of NY and surf fishes with lots of old penn conventionals. 

Edited by ecks
eBay not YouTube

2 hours ago, MCL169 said:

I already did.

HH

This is a good video and I'm going to look into it later on but I can't see what he does with that little piece that I took a picture of. I'll work it out but I can tell the general area that he's putting it into at 37:14

On 6/22/2019 at 0:01 AM, Heavy Hooksetter said:

okay,,,,so when are you going to fish this new gear?,,,,and don't say next month either,we want to hear next week.

HH

LoL yeah,  quite messing around!

Okay I finally went out this weekend after coming back off a cruise first thing I did was head to the water so I can use my new Akios 656. So far I love it and I see the potential for distance casting. I turned the mag all the way to the minimum and loosen the centrifugal just enough that the weight Plus Bait would slowly come down. It cast pretty nice for my first day out. The guy at my local tackling store has a used SquierSquall with a open face that he would sell me for little to nothing. For now I'm enjoying my new conventional and looking forward to catching something nice off of it but the next one will definitely be without the levelwind. 

MCL,

Sounds like you have tightened up the end caps to make the reel controllable.

Not the best approach.

1. Mag brake to max.

2. Put both blocks back on.

3. Set spool so that it is centred and there is a very slight side-to side knock (like .5mm, you will just be able to feel it move)

Go cast and start gently.

Akios 2 pin brake block holder.jpg

Akios 6 pin brake block holder.jpg

Edited by ZAFisher

mcl,

as Za pointed out,, tightening the end caps have nothing to do with the centrifugal brakes and can damage the bearings. If you put both of the little brake blocks back in your reel then they work. Loosen the endcap back up until there is the slightest sideways movement to the spool. Turn the magnet cast control back to max and have at it.