My first conventional reel

Rate this topic

MCL169

8 hours ago, MCL169 said:

Ok thanks. I'll let you know how it works out. Most of my fishing is done on the beach. This will make become a good reel for the boat but I will look into another conventional that is better at handling sand. Maybe a largest size that will hold me down for bigger Predator fish. But I think this size would be good for most fishing that I do

Conventional reels and sand don’t mix. Your Akios is made for beach fishing so don’t give up.  You just have to handle them differently from sealed spinners like VS.  just don’t let it fall on the sand or dunk it and you will be ok.  How did you get sand in it anyway???

If the line got behind the spool you probably have it over spoiled and the tensioner too loose.  The side to side should be very minimal just enough to feel it move while still allowing a free spinning spool. Leave 1/8” of line before the top of the spool 

2 hours ago, MCL169 said:

Okay I took off the screws and removed the spool and cleared off some line that got stuck in the gears behind the spool and now all is Well! 

you should show us the reel,,,sounds like you put on to much line.

mine has a line on the spool to fill to,not sure if yours does.
HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

2 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

Conventional reels and sand don’t mix. Your Akios is made for beach fishing so don’t give up.  You just have to handle them differently from sealed spinners like VS.  just don’t let it fall on the sand or dunk it and you will be ok.  How did you get sand in it anyway???

he said his frame is just like mine.

there is not space for a single grain to get in there,wind could do it.

it will grind when sand gets in there for sure.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

13 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

HH

Dunno how it happened but you do need to be more careful with conventional reels.  There is no way to seal them.  Even rinsing them in the surf can get them full of sand.  Don’t drop them on the sand and don’t dunk them.  That’s all you can do really.

13 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

HH

Dunno how it happened but you do need to be more careful with conventional reels.  There is no way to seal them.  Even rinsing them in the surf can get them full of sand.  Don’t drop them on the sand and don’t dunk them.  That’s all you can do really.