MCL169

My first conventional reel

Rate this topic

135 posts in this topic

Yeah it keeps me in trouble but I can only be who I am hey if it helps I do have plenty of lures to use. Is that what started the problem? I've been fishing over 30 years never had much luck with lures but I still try

Edited by MCL169

Mcl

i think a typo got the thread off track. You purchased a 651 reel I think. Akios makes or made a 551 left hand, but it is a smaller reel than the one you purchased. The 656/651 size reels are perfectly fine on a 13' rod and I don't think there is a striper in the surf  that will spool you even after a long cast. If you plan on a dedicated shark outfit then a bigger reel probably would be in order, but I have landed probably 80 to 100 of the dang things in the last year on a 656 size reel. Good luck and enjoy the journey.  

6 hours ago, MCL169 said:

Yes its a telephone pole I know lol. Due to shipping errors I ended up with three of them. It's hard to find a nice 3-piece surf rod reasonably priced. Maybe I'll put a nicer one on my list for Santa. 

So long as you know what those rods are like.:)

5 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

Not even close to 8lb mono dia.

Aquaholic's pinned thread and the Excel sheet he has set up confirms this

Closer to 15lb mono at .36mm dia.

I've been pfaffing around with different braids on my round reels and my Tranx 400, casting in a field BEFORE i go fish them so I know what to expect and I can set the reels up for happy birdnest free performance on the water

Probably expensive in the short term, but I will feel more confident, knowing how my set ups will perform.

Baby 5000 size is currently spooled with 30lb PP

For the 6000, I am trying out, what I think is 20lb Fireline (we now get Euro spec Berkley lines down here all marked in kg and mm) - it is marked at 23.5kg and 0.32mm, my micrometer says they fib a bit, more like 0.38mm, this seems to tie in to Aqua's tests of the 20lb: 50lb ABS dia of 0.37mm.

Couple of gentle field casts to about 380' made me happy with the line's stiffness (I like this)

I will give it a proper cast this weekend on my 14'6 stick

Like I said, you just can't trust what the line package says.

I sent Aqua a lot of those sufix line samples and it was interesting to see how much the line companies fudged their measurements.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 3:18 PM, MCL169 said:

I appreciate the input I usually fish 3 to 4 oz pyramid with cut bait

okay,,,,so when are you going to fish this new gear?,,,,and don't say next month either,we want to hear next week.

HH

I was out yesterday fishing the new real and right into trying to get it set up it stopped retrieving I don't know if there is sand in the gear or what I'm waiting to get it looked at. When I get a new piece of equipment it does not take me long to use it I'm like a big kid who new toy is not working. I have a good head with gadgets but I didn't know if I should open it up and clean it out I believe some sand might have gotten into the gears

Edited by MCL169

3 hours ago, MCL169 said:

I was out yesterday fishing the new real and right into trying to get it set up it stopped retrieving I don't know if there is sand in the gear or what I'm waiting to get it looked at. When I get a new piece of equipment it does not take me long to use it I'm like a big kid who new toy is not working. I have a good head with gadgets but I didn't know if I should open it up and clean it out I believe some sand might have gotten into the gears

so,what did it do?

handle spin but,no spool spin,,grind a bit?

theres, on lt 3 knobs to open it up,open it and wash with running water put it back together and see.

it's very simple to open.

I doubt sand got into the gears it could have gotten between the frame and spool though.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

3 hours ago, MCL169 said:

thinking again,if your reel has a one piece frame,they don't like sand period!

the spool and frame are so close that 1 grain of sand will make it grind to a halt.

I have the omoto chief xtreme 631-CX,,it has the 1 piece frame and it would do the same thing if it

5d0e50bc4c644_HHPlugWerxLDP355.JPG.05dba367ca4023bdd5e586a3daca3648.JPG

5d0e50cedffa1_HHPlugWerxLDP356.JPG.4c2727d76fd9ea4959de423681734873.JPG

saw the beach which it does not.

is your frame like this one?

HH

6 mins ago, MCL169 said:

Yes. What should i do? 

loosen the 3 knobs on the handle side and it will open right up.

they don't come out,they just loosen.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

Ok thanks. I'll let you know how it works out. Most of my fishing is done on the beach. This will make become a good reel for the boat but I will look into another conventional that is better at handling sand. Maybe a largest size that will hold me down for bigger Predator fish. But I think this size would be good for most fishing that I do

3 mins ago, MCL169 said:

Ok thanks. I'll let you know how it works out. Most of my fishing is done on the beach. This will make become a good reel for the boat but I will look into another conventional that is better at handling sand. Maybe a largest size that will hold me down for bigger Predator fish. But I think this size would be good for most fishing that I do

YW

as I mentioned before sand and close tolerances don't work.

for that an abu 7000-c3 or c4 would fill that spot.

if you do use what you have now for the boat,make sure you give it a good bath afterwards.

HH

Ok thanks. I'll let you know how it works out. Most of my fishing is done on the beach. This will make become a good reel for the boat but I will look into another conventional that is better at handling sand. Maybe a largest size that will hold me down for bigger Predator fish. But I think this size would be good for most fishing that I do. 

Okay come to find out I took off the screws to go off the real and cleared off some line that got stuck in the gears and now all is Well!