MCL169

My first conventional reel

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

Mcl,

line size will affect casting distance a lot. If you are looking for long casts I would keep it at 20lb. 16lb Berkeley pro spec chrome will give greater distance and still  breaks above 20lbs. Any thing above 20 lb line cuts down on line capacity also.

6 mins ago, Ksjohnson said:

Mcl,

line size will affect casting distance a lot. If you are looking for long casts I would keep it at 20lb. 16lb Berkeley pro spec chrome will give greater distance and still  breaks above 20lbs. Any thing above 20 lb line cuts down on line capacity also.

So so I'm thinking 20 lb test and a shock/wire leader

Mcl, 

sounds good, learn to tie a spider hitch or Bimini to double your running line, and then a 30-50lb shock leader  depending on how much weight you are throwing, that is long enough to go from your rig all the way to the reel and be wrapped about 5 times around the spool. Use the Noname knot to attach the shock leader to the double main line. 

7 hours ago, Ksjohnson said:

Mcl, 

sounds good, learn to tie a spider hitch or Bimini to double your running line, and then a 30-50lb shock leader  depending on how much weight you are throwing, that is long enough to go from your rig all the way to the reel and be wrapped about 5 times around the spool. Use the Noname knot to attach the shock leader to the double main line. 

What do you mean by double your running line?

On 6/11/2019 at 2:09 PM, wok167 said:

Level wind will affect distance negatively, and noticeably.

When I first took the level wind off my abu my distance immediately went from 70-80 to 100- 110.

The other option, the one I favor, is a ball bearing level wind upgrade

You only lose about 10 yards at most on the cast - well worth it especially if you're plugging and making hundreds of casts a night

On 6/14/2019 at 11:25 AM, MCL169 said:

I talked to Matt at ninja tackle and pulled the trigger on that 651 and will order twenty pound test to go with it. 

You are talking about using this reel for sharks in the surf.  The line capacity is 300yds of 15lb test, so you do not want to go with twenty lb test.  Also, passing a mono to mono shock leader knot thru the level wing can be problematic.  I base these statements on personal experience.

My recommendation for you:

1. Load your reel with 50lb test Suffix performance braid this braid is softer than most and tends to lie flat, so has much less tendency to dig in, even if you get a backlash
  2.  You shock leader of mono ( I use Berkley Big Game in green) should be 10lbs test for every ounce of your heaviest payload (sinker plus bait).
  3. Use Power Pro Hollow Ace and their spicing needle kit to "Chinese finger/Uni-Knot join the two lines together (Chinese finger between Mono and Hollow Ace, Uni-Uni between Braid main Line and Hollow Ace).  I have used this for years on my Abu CS Reels. The joint passing thru the level wind is virtually undetectable, and I have never had a failure.  Below is You Tube video.

Simply addicted,

by doubling the running'line, I mean tying a bikini twist knot or spider hitch in you mainline, that will give you a loop at the end of your running line to attach your shock leader line with a Bristol or noname knot. This is the strongest connection for a mono running line to a heavier mono shock leader. Hope this  helps

Mcl,

flatwing offers a good alternative for  your setup as well. I would spool up with that 20lb you ordered , put on a 30lb shock leader, and a 4oz sinker and have at it, the mono will be easier to pick out as you learn. He is correct about the shockknot hitting the level wind at some point. If you are gonna throw 6 to 8 oz mostly then the braid would be a good option. For throwing 3oz up to 6oz mostly then a 40lb mono shock knot should pass thru the levelwind fine. If you decide to stay with the mono, I would go to 16lb pro spec chrome, it is thinner giving more line capacity , will cast better,and have a slimmer knot to pass thru the levelwind easier. It is plenty strong for sharks up to 7 ft. Please let us know how you come along in your casting.

Flatwing,

good advise to mcl on his setup. I have a question about the braid to shock splice. I rarely ever throw a bait just for sharks, but probably hooked 50 this spring drum fishing. I landed a lot more of them than I wanted too, but they tend to really chafe and tear up your shock leader. Sometimes we will replace shock leader 6 or 8 times in one tide. Do you do that splice out on the beach Everytime you need to replace the shock?