MCL169

My first conventional reel

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

5 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

that looks totally like an Omoto product with rebranded badging.

love the price myself.

personally,i would have to go with an abu ct frame.

HH 

You may be right.  Can’t wait to put it through the ringer and see how it does.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm definitely not experienced with conventional reels, but I have heard good things about Abu's Blue Yonder.

So don't take my word. Talk to the pros on here that know a significant more than I do, as well as do your own research.

Edited by coastalfreak

34 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

You may be right.  Can’t wait to put it through the ringer and see how it does.

looks a lot like the Omoto cheif xtreme with the gold/black frame.

where can I check one out at?

HH

Just now, Heavy Hooksetter said:

looks a lot like the Omoto cheif xtreme with the gold/black frame.

where can I check one out at?

HH

Amazon UK.  Blown away at the price.  YouTube has vids of people in shock at what they got for the money

8 hours ago, MCL169 said:

I'm looking to enter the dark side and get a conventional setup for surf fishing from the beach.

I read about magnetic brakes and windlevels being convenient but effects distance. 

Cabela mentioned Abu garcia c3 striper and Penn Rival

I've been fishing for years but no nothing about a conventional reel. I'm looking first for maximum distance for casting 3-8 plus bait. I like the idea of the magnetic break and windlevel but dont know. I would like to keep it under 200 if possible. any advice is much appreciated. 

you may become addicted to them like I did.

I switched to them before braided line but,now the spinners with braid have the upper hand for plugging,,,stilI cannot bring my self to use a spinner.

I fish with nothing else but a winch.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

8 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

I just picked up a Tronixpro Envoy Tournament.  Haven’t used it yet but it seems very much like Akios Shuttle.  The reviews were really good and it’s friggen  cheap!  Centrifugal and magnetic brake, for $50 is insane.

6F87BCD2-61AE-4CE2-85C1-A1D22D5ECD91.jpeg

I've been eyeballing that reel and the non-mag reels that seller has to offer. I can't say who makes them,yet. I might get the other and do a review.

Edited by jimmy z

2 hours ago, jimmy z said:

I've been eyeballing that reel and the non-mag reels that seller has to offer. I can't say who makes them,yet. I might get the other and do a review.

That would be cool.  I saw PMR reviews. Jamie broke it down and was amazed at the quality parts for the value.  I also saw some on YouTube where the guy was pendulum casting and getting great distance.  He was shocked at the distance and the overall smoothness. A stripersonline review would be great.

19 hours ago, redfin said:

The abu 7000 c3 is and excellent choice imo. 

It's in the price range for my first conventional but does not come lefthanded. Any other recommendations in that price range?

I prefer the Penn 965 and 975 for workhorse reliability and superior drag. The 975 with level wind removed is a cannon.

I saw this on ebay and it's left handed. 

Would this be a good first conventional for surf fishing bunker for up to small sharks? I decided I want the mag breaks and levelwind option for now.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by MCL169

1 hour ago, MCL169 said:

It's in the price range for my first conventional but does not come lefthanded. Any other recommendations in that price range?

Sorry I missed you were lefty. 

I've said this time and time again. If you are just starting, buy right handed. The selection of lefties is limited, especially in non levelwind reels. This may change due to the fact that 99% of fishermen start with a standard left hand crank spinning reel, but I'd still start righty if I had the chance to do it again.

5 hours ago, MCL169 said:

Too big