MCL169

My first conventional reel

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

I'm looking to enter the dark side and get a conventional setup for surf fishing from the beach.

I read about magnetic brakes and windlevels being convenient but effects distance. 

Cabela mentioned Abu garcia c3 striper and Penn Rival

I've been fishing for years but no nothing about a conventional reel. I'm looking first for maximum distance for casting 3-8 plus bait. I like the idea of the magnetic break and windlevel but dont know. I would like to keep it under 200 if possible. any advice is much appreciated. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Mag brakes affecting distance?

Yip

Better. Less fear = more confidence = better distance.

Think of them as ABS for reels:

Assuming you can cadence brake on a car to avoid wheel lock up, would you disable your ABS because you have a clever right foot?

Me either.

At an extreme level, field casting for pure distance: all casters use magnetic breaking systems.

Edited by ZAFisher

Level wind will affect distance negatively, and noticeably.

When I first took the level wind off my abu my distance immediately went from 70-80 to 100- 110.

However, the benefit of not having to manually thumb your line on both retrieve and fighting a fish may outweigh distance.

Abu 6600 's  can be inexpensive and a good start. Cheaper versions have adjustable inertia brakes. The brakes work fine for me, but you do have to take off the side plate to adjust.

I just realized my avatar photo was taken the day I took off my level wind, mentioned above. I had gotten so excited about the increased distance, I decided to turn off all the brakes and try for more. The gnarly birds nest was the result

Get one no breaks no level wind and educate your thumb. It sounds like you will be bait fishing so it’s not that bad. Go cast during the day Get confident. Use mono. 

I don't know how much they go for now, but of the many, many thumblevelers I used, the Penn Fathom is by far the best. Nice brakes, nice drag, very compact, and casts as well as any. I'd get a 12 for braid or a 15 for mono

^^^^ I currently use a Newell 229 when I chunk, but I learned to launch with a Squidder.

Go the Jedi in training route with your thumb and master a  Squidder …..almost any reel afterward will be like painting by numbers.

I went over to Convents 15yrs ago and will never go back,except when throwing light weight plugs.Like for Albies. You will be better with a non level wind reel for bait, but if you are plugging you'll want to get a level wind.  A hundred casts with large plugs will drive you crazy with a non level wind reel.

Take your time and be prepared to be frustrated at first,but the rewards are there when it all comes together .  I use abu Rockets 6500cs chrome which are tough reels.

I have thrown conventional level wind and non for a long time. I agree with all the comments I've read.Good bunch of fishermen have responded to your question. Personal preference from here  ABU for the price point and upgrade to higher end if desired. 

Second the penn squall, I have the 15 comes with magnets. Also the akios 656 or 757 ctm, also come with magnets. I use them for bottom fishing but at the moment, I’m using the squall for lures because I broke my spinning rod.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I just picked up a Tronixpro Envoy Tournament.  Haven’t used it yet but it seems very much like Akios Shuttle.  The reviews were really good and it’s friggen  cheap!  Centrifugal and magnetic brake, for $50 is insane.

6F87BCD2-61AE-4CE2-85C1-A1D22D5ECD91.jpeg

Edited by Birdsnester

22 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

I just picked up a Tronixpro Envoy Tournament.  Haven’t used it yet but it seems very much like Akios Shuttle.  The reviews were really good and it’s friggen  cheap!  Centrifugal and magnetic brake, for $50 is insane.

6F87BCD2-61AE-4CE2-85C1-A1D22D5ECD91.jpeg

that looks totally like an Omoto product with rebranded badging.

love the price myself.

personally,i would have to go with an abu ct frame.

HH