canalsharpie

Charlestown beach arrest

Rate this topic

73 posts in this topic

If a private security officer approached me the first thing I’d do is call the police.  Tell the police you’re being harassed on a public beach -  this way you become the complainant and they respond to protect you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

Flood every fishing report you can with fish biting in front of his house. 

I'll start with the Jersey forums.:worms:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, flysully said:

Same thing happened to us when walking/flycasting one morning along South Beach on Martha's Vineyard several years ago. No private access needed. Parked in the Vineyard parking lot and started walking and casting along the water as we walked. Out came a loud security guard from his "booth" (no kidding, a booth) with his gun in a holster telling us, HEY!, we had to leave, that this was a private beach, yada, yada, yada. He said he was guarding Letterman's house, and this was private property, even into the water. We told him about our right to fish below the high water mark and were actively fishing but he insisted we leave. Didn't want to make a big issue over it and left but have definitely lost any respect for Letterman who obviously felt like the Vineyard's "big deal" at the time but wasn't even knowledgeable about the rights of others.

The difference in Massachusetts is that the homeowners there own the beach to the mean LOW tide line. you can still access, just have to wade. Access rights vary from state to state. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, westhavendave said:

The difference in Massachusetts is that the homeowners there own the beach to the mean LOW tide line. you can still access, just have to wade. Access rights vary from state to state. 

Is some cases in MA private landowners own to low tide line, but we can still access below high tide line for fish and fowl. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We rented a house back on Ninigret pond over Memorial Day weekend, but we walked out to the beach to check it out (and I even threw a few casts unsuccessfully).  There was a local cop at the access to the public beach and I asked him about walking the beach down towards the breachway.  He said that although some might complain there was no way he was going to arrest anyone for walking on the beach (down by the water that is). I assume if you brought your beach chair and set up in front of somebodies house that might be different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks like a set up to me. An agent provocateur, but I think he's right, or at least close to right. There is some question as to exactly where the mean high tide line is, on most of the sea shore. When the laws were enacted a 100+ years ago, the shoreline was a lot different. Today, what was the mean high tide line can be a couple of hundred feet from the water or it can be underwater. Erosion has changed the shape of the shoreline. I hope this guy wins a precedent setting case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 mins ago, MakoMike said:

This looks like a set up to me. An agent provocateur, but I think he's right, or at least close to right. There is some question as to exactly where the mean high tide line is, on most of the sea shore. When the laws were enacted a 100+ years ago, the shoreline was a lot different. Today, what was the mean high tide line can be a couple of hundred feet from the water or it can be underwater. Erosion has changed the shape of the shoreline. I hope this guy wins a precedent setting case.

It felt like a set up with the "collecting seaweed" part, but i agree and support advocates for our access rights.

Edited by Kooky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

We get the same kinda "dinks" here to Maine too. Ugly and stupid. What do they think that they are going to stop everyone from fishing. All this did was make it worse for themselves. If accidentally a barrel of ripe lobster bait spills  in he road in front of his house that may help him to see things different. Back off.

Edited by Ted Pietz
add more text

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 mins ago, Ted Pietz said:

We get the same kinda "dinks" here to Maine too. Ugly and stupid. What do they think that they are going to stop everyone from fishing. All this did was make it worse for themselves. If accidentally a barrel of ripe lobster bait spills  in he road in front of his house that may help him to see things different. Back off.

lol. I was thinking of the same thing, providing the wind is in the right direction. old gulp juice, really old bunker, clams, dead eels...etc.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 mins ago, MakoMike said:

This looks like a set up to me. An agent provocateur, but I think he's right, or at least close to right. There is some question as to exactly where the mean high tide line is, on most of the sea shore. When the laws were enacted a 100+ years ago, the shoreline was a lot different. Today, what was the mean high tide line can be a couple of hundred feet from the water or it can be underwater. Erosion has changed the shape of the shoreline. I hope this guy wins a precedent setting case.

no doubt that he wanted to get arrested to force a court case. one of those justice warrior types that you hate unless you agree with them...like the ACLU :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.