canalsharpie

Charlestown beach arrest

Rate this topic

73 posts in this topic

New to the RI fishing seen. I'm from central Mass but would like to give the RI saltwater scene a shot. Where would one find the most up to date laws/regulations on saltwater fishing in RI? I've been looking on the DEM website but most of the information I am finding pertains to size and possession limits. Also, do I need to register my 14ft kayak to fish on coastal ponds? 

Rich dude bought a house, put a security guard on his beach to keep people off, dude probably wouldn't leave when the police showed up.  Got arrested for willful trespass.  His name is 

Scott Keeley on facebook he's got the video up.  I'm there's more to the story that isn't shown, the video doesn't start until moments before he gets cuffed.

3 mins ago, kevin.graves35 said:

been looking on the DEM website but most of the information I am finding pertains to size and possession limit

DEM site is the best place to find fishing regulations:

http://www.dem.ri.gov/programs/marine-fisheries/mfsizes.php#recre

Size/bag/seasons all on the same page :) Striped bass fishing in Rhode Island is open year round...

TimS

If you're looking for public rights of way and access you want the Coastal Resource Management Council, know as the CRMC.  They have maps with the public right of ways listed.

Appears like they might be trying to set up a court case as “gathering seaweed” is a protected right when public is laterally accessing the shoreline.   If the guy didn’t cross private property to get where he was I think he is in the right. I’m thinking CRMC lawyers are looking at this now.

23 mins ago, ne_dan said:

If you're looking for public rights of way and access you want the Coastal Resource Management Council, know as the CRMC.  They have maps with the public right of ways listed.

Thank you! This is what I was looking for...

My family is renting a beach house the week after the 4th on Ctown beach. I will happily camp out in front of his house several days that week. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just saw the video. The guy was clearly below the high tide mark. The (peaceful) protest is  Sat 7/6 at 10am.  People are encouraged to swim, fish, and hang out in front the house, it’s the yellow one with green trim. 

Edited by rbart

2 mins ago, rbart said:

Just saw the video. The guy was clearly below the high tide mark. The protest is  Sat 7/6 at 10am.  People are encouraged to swim, fish, and hang out in front the house, it’s the yellow one with green trim. 

awesome :laugh::laugh:

need to coordinate drop offs

Same thing happened to us when walking/flycasting one morning along South Beach on Martha's Vineyard several years ago. No private access needed. Parked in the Vineyard parking lot and started walking and casting along the water as we walked. Out came a loud security guard from his "booth" (no kidding, a booth) with his gun in a holster telling us, HEY!, we had to leave, that this was a private beach, yada, yada, yada. He said he was guarding Letterman's house, and this was private property, even into the water. We told him about our right to fish below the high water mark and were actively fishing but he insisted we leave. Didn't want to make a big issue over it and left but have definitely lost any respect for Letterman who obviously felt like the Vineyard's "big deal" at the time but wasn't even knowledgeable about the rights of others.