canalsharpie

Charlestown beach arrest

Rate this topic

73 posts in this topic

Just saw this on Facebook. A homeowner put up a no tresspassing sign and hired security guard to protect the beach in front of his house. Guy was walking, gathering seaweed and such. The private security harassed him and eventually  called the police on him. South Kingstown police arrested him for willful trespassing on private beach. He was below the median high tide line and made the officer aware. It was all on video, I’ll probably get yelled at for posting the link but here it is. I was told it’s gonna be in the providence journal tomorrow.

Must be a newbie beachhouse owner thinking their cottage is the Swift compound. Like to see what transpires when there's a line of surfcasters at high tide in their front yard. The case will get tossed reinforcing the public trust doctrine.

I remember dealing with an angry homeowner in that area a few years back.  He didn't like my "below the high tide" statement and begun shooting some big fireworks into the air. 

I dunno the full story but unless the angler was a #### or doing something else unlawful, shame on the cops. I hope he contests the charges. No reason why this should happen. :mad:

9 mins ago, bdowning said:

I dunno the full story but unless the angler was a #### or doing something else unlawful, shame on the cops. I hope he contests the charges. No reason why this should happen. :mad:

He wasn't even fishing, from the video it looks like he was just strolling the beach and collecting seaweed under the hightide line..

The guy is apparently some crazy left wing nut, wouldn't surprise me if there's more to the story.   I.E. he was above the mean high tide (not the high tide mark from the day) and tried reciting the law to the police when asked to leave.  Either way it's BS it apparently happened in front of a new house that was constructed.  Who has enough money to burn that they can hire a security guard for "their beach".  He's planning a "protest" on the 4th of July on the beach.    Simple solution is to call the plover police and say you saw some plover nests right in front of the guy's house.

Like i said i dunno the full story, and i dunno what the law sez if you are not actively engaged in "fishing or fowling." Im sure more details will emerge soon.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’ll be there the week of the 4th, definitely down to camp outside that woman's house. What a twat

Edited by rbart

Having seen the video, I suspect he was deliberately exercising his right to walk (and gather sea weed) below the mean high tide. Apparently, he didn't need much sea weed as the bag was a small, plastic grocery bag. Not quite sure how he accessed the beach, and that could be an issue.

1 min ago, HugeDinghy said:

why would south Kingstown cops arrest someone in c-town?

It was right over the line on Charleston Beach Rd near Charleston town beach, right before that one house actually on the beach.  They'll sweep this all under the rug, bad for tourism and all.