55 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

57 mins ago, gellfex said:

Jeez man, where your obvious avatar pic??? Here's a cool one:

?format=750w

Fair enough!

Edited by C.Robin

On 6/11/2019 at 3:00 PM, ThrowinPlugs said:

I see them chasing bait and popping the surface at night in the shallows (sub 2 feet deep) but I've never caught one at night come to think of it. 

I remember seeing lots of them on the surface at Sunken Meadow Park while fishing the flats for stripers.  Caught tons of them on flies.  Always did a gentle C&R.  

Love eating them!  We ran into a large school mix with smaller sea bass and 12" striper blitzing bait in Buzzards Bay two weeks ago.  They are fun on a fly rod when they are up top.  I don't typically fish with bait so the only time I normally catch them is when I am trying.

Down in LI we've caught them from shore in big numbers.  Hook one and 5 will follow right up to the beach.  Grab them in a net!

Took my boss out for some trophy weaks in the dory. Put the net under a winner for em. Next up brings a monster fluke to the surface net in the boat hes smiling from ear to ear. 

Drops back down and 1..2..3...bam!

Brings it to the surface MONSTER BIRD! 

Tracy let me take that **** out for u.

No I got it. Proceeds to let the winged sweetheart bury its gill barber deep into his thump web. Bleed like a stuck pig thought he was gonna pass out. 

Fun day. Watch the gill spike.

18 hours ago, qecfly said:

Love eating them!

They're good to eat, I'll generally only keep them if they're biguns,they do have a lot of bones though.

Sea robins are excellent eating and the cleaned carcasses make an excellent soup stock for bouillibaise. When was the last time you saw sea robins or blow fish in sea food markets on Long Island? Is there any such thing as local fish in LI restaurants or markets?