bobber

sea robin infestation

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

not sure if they're everywhere, but they are definitely in LIS and Montauk.  probably Block too.    I'm wondering why there are SOOOO many this year.  like, maybe theres an imbalance in the ecological world that causing them to probagate so much.  I even saw a YT video where a guy was sight fishing them from the beach.....

whaddya think???

They've always been a problem in lower fairfield county.To add to this the spider crab population seems worse than it's been in years-was chunking this weekend caught 2 sea robins and 12 spider crabs.

1 min ago, Delzea said:

They've always been a problem in lower fairfield county.To add to this the spider crab population seems worse than it's been in years-was chunking this weekend caught 2 sea robins and 12 spider crabs.

Spider Crab Chowder is awesome. :)

Gotta get the fancy restaurants to serve em, call em by the Brit name Gurnard. They're tasty, and sustainable as far as anyone can see, why not? Americans are such snobs about the fish we'll eat. I keep big ones. There was a video on a boat of a Chinese dude literally filling a 5 gal bucket with robins, and you know they got eaten. Robins on light tackle are even fun.

I wanna eat one soon. Also, I have had days 20 yrs ago where you had a Robin on every cast..I don`t find this year unusual..

Tons of them eating dragon flies (I think) on the surface a couple of weeks ago. It was awesome to watch and they were keyed in on the surface so weren't bothering me. Loads of em. 

44 mins ago, gellfex said:

Gotta get the fancy restaurants to serve em, call em by the Brit name Gurnard. They're tasty, and sustainable as far as anyone can see, why not? Americans are such snobs about the fish we'll eat. I keep big ones. There was a video on a boat of a Chinese dude literally filling a 5 gal bucket with robins, and you know they got eaten. Robins on light tackle are even fun.

I grilled one on the barbecue this past weekend.  Absolutely delicious.  Much nicer than the porgies which I also grilled.  

28 mins ago, Gundalba said:

Sea Robin is sushi/sashimi delicacy.

Eat them and bring the balance back to the nature. :freak:

:worms: 

Literally. I'd never eat any local fish raw or ceviche that wasn't frozen a week first.  Several years ago Africaster posted some pics of a robin full of Anisakis worms! It's not limited to robins, any inshore fish can have them. Google it, probably won't kill you but you'll want to die.

10 mins ago, HKJonathan said:

I grilled one on the barbecue this past weekend.  Absolutely delicious.  Much nicer than the porgies which I also grilled.  

How did you prep it, head on or just the tail? Did the skin get crispy like pork rind? That skin is amazingly tough, makes great fluke strips.