Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
striper14

tsunami rods

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

bought a tsunami rod 4 months ago and used about 8 times only to see that the guides started to rust and water getting under the coating and then rusting. Couldt belive it.. any body else have the same problem..

I'm on my second Tsunami, the 10 footer is not bad, except for the delicate guides. The company replaced my first pole, and were very helpful. The second time, I had the top two guides replaced at a local tackle shop, instead of sending it back.

The 9 footer has a very delicate tip and can handle 2 ounces at most. The rating 1-4 oz is way off. My friend and I both broke the top part of the blank. The 10 footer is rated to 6 oz and I haven't had a problem tossing 4 oz.

My advise: If you buy one, replace at least the top guide before you use it.

Take my advise, if you are rough with your gear and cast heavy plugs and jigs, replace the top guides. One drop and the guides will crack. If you don't crack the top guide, you will eventually cast the ring out of the top guide. Rinsing your gear is a given. The Tsunami rod has great action, the guides are junk.

Twichell Creek-I've have a 9'tsunami and have been pretty rough with it (it's always in my truck)& tosses 3oz plugs pretty good.When i bought it i heard about the guide problems,so i keep a close eye on them and so far,so goodcwm31.gifBut i think i'm gonna heed your advise and get the guides changed over the winter.Also never heard about the tip being weak,so i'll keep an eye on that too,thanks

A friend and I both had problems with the 9 footer tossing 3 ounces. Wahoo, you're rating is dead on. 4 ounces is a joke. Get the 10 footer, much better rating, and it's accurate. The top guide has that gold color, it's plastic, and when I talked to the service rep at Bimini Bay, she asked no questions and replaced it, almost like they have been having this problem a lot. Still for the money, even after replacing guides I paid under $100 and love the action on the pole.

i had a 7'6" spinning and broke about 1 foot off teh top of the blank but that was after 4 months of pissed off blues and a few strippers, getting abused on jetties and throwing more weight then recomended, i blame my self but dont feel bad since the rod cost 60 bucks and i got a ton of use out of it..

i also have a 10 foot casting tsunami rod withaabu6500c3 and 30 lb PP and absolutely love this rod, everythign about it makes me happy. anything from 1 an 2oz metal to 5-6oz lead and bait cast like0 a dream on this rig na d it has great power for fighting any beast. i wrestled a good size cow nose to the beach with no problem..

last i have a 6'5" casting that i havent used too much but it seems good for light duty work, it has a abu 5601 with 20 lb PP on it, i like using this combo ..

Hmmmmm......interesting comments.....

The Tica rods, which are in direct competition with Tsunami, have a reputation for some of the same problems.....when I bought my Tica, I had a comparable Tsunami in my hands, and for whatever reason, put it back...

Other than the tip guide (which was replaced when it failed), my Tica hasn't had any of the other problems mentioned here...

From what I hear, the shop I bought my Tica at won't let one leave the store without first replacing the tip guide......

I was under the impression that the Tsunami had Fuji guides, where the Tica does not.....

Not making any judgements, just some observations.... smile.gif

I have the 9ft. I wash and dry the rod when I get home. Before, during, and at the end of the season, I use a spray on car wax and get a good coat on it. Maybe a little over the top, but I cant afford to make repairs.