Earliest confirmed Bonito - MVY

Rate this topic

golden

On 6/10/2019 at 0:34 PM, golden said:

Yup - one was caught in the last few days off the vineyard.  Island legend Kib Bramhall's son.

Wasn't caught, was lost boat side.  Total fluke, one small school got lost somewhere.  Heard about the nantucket one also 

Island livin

48 mins ago, MVDCGTO said:

Wasn't caught, was lost boat side.  Total fluke, one small school got lost somewhere.  Heard about the nantucket one also 

Okay, lost boatside, but identified.  Either way, still earliest I've heard, whether they strayed in from offshore in an eddy, hopefully this bodes well for a good showing later in Summer.

Salty part-time writer, full-time fishing fool...

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 0:34 PM, golden said:

Yup - one was caught in the last few days off the vineyard.  Island legend Kib Bramhall's son.

I have caught many bonito over the Vineyard.

I have sold bonito to Betsy.

I have won derby prizes for weighing in bonito.

I want to be a Vineyard legend.

Can I be a Vineyard legend?  :laugh:

"Liberalism is a mental disorder."

Dr. Michael Savage

Based on 20 years fishing the Vineyard first two wks of June & last two of September, I wouldn't advise running to the vineyard to catch early bonito based on this report, even tho' most likely legit. Tin Boat, yes, is a legend on the Vineyard. As we experience here on Long Island, NY, several early bonito are caught in nets by commercial fishermen in June and so, designated as a "catch", . Not saying anything else but seems to be a bit early based on previous years EARLY bonito show ups. Bones do show up occasionally In late July & early August, even late August just before the Derby starts, but more consistently, during the early wks of the month of September, if planning your trip. Trolling for bonito rather than fishing from shore would be your best bet if you'd want to consistently hook bonito during Derby 6 week tournament. 

Edited by flysully

Yes, my son, Everett, lost the bonito at boat-side. He is an expert and experienced angler, and the ID is solid. He was wondering how to cook it when the hook pulled. Yes, this is the earliest bonito showing and hook-up we have ever heard of, and is substantiated by reports of at least one and possibly two landed at Nantucket the same week. The third week in July is a typical arrival time in a "normal" year.  As for the legend moniker, it is usually associated with the deceased, but I'm fooling them awhile longer.